Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mcafee virus scan 4.5.1 - problems after uninstalling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gareth1978

IS-IT--Management
Apr 19, 2002
GB
We have recently (i.e. last night) moved from Mcafee to Symantec. I uninstalled Mcafee first but when some users log on and Outlook opens they get a message

The add-in "C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Virus Scan\Scanemal dll" could not be installed or loaded. This problem may be resolved by using Detect and Repair on the Help menu. Unable to load "C\Program Files\Network Associates\Viru...." You may be out of memory, out of system resources, or missing a .dll file.

Looks as though it's trying to scan using Mcafee which isn't there any more.

We certainly didn't do anything different for these installs originally than any other.

The user clicks on o.k. and outlook works normally.

It would be great if someone could tell me how to get rid of this though !

Thanks

Gareth

**One day, I will find a question that no one else has answered........and will also know the answer to it ! **

If you're running Win9x/ME, use VS 4.5.1 sp1, not VS 4.5.1.

If you're on WinNT or above, then use VS Enterprise 7 or 7.1.

If I remember rightly, there was an issue with 4.5.1 & Outlook which was cleared up with 4.5.1 SP1.

This is if you're a corporate user - I can't answer from a home user perspective.

I was a corporate user but I'm not not using Mcafee - it's been uninstalled.

**One day, I will find a question that no one else has answered........and will also know the answer to it ! **

oops, I must have misread your original message - sorry about that. Have you tried scanning the registry for that dll?

With Outlook closed, search for the file "extend.dat" on your PC and delete.
Outlook uses a cache "settings" file instead of accessing the registry continually for configuration. Outlook is likely using the cached settings instead of the updated registry and is therefore looking for the file specified. Outlook will create another cache upon reopening.

Thank you all. The solution I'm using at the moment that works is to run the repair option on Office setup.

Thanks again

Gareth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back