Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

McAfee Updates expired, new solution? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoroaster

Programmer
Jun 10, 2003
GB
Hi

Some while ago my McAfee Updater expired, I got a download upgrade but couldn't install it as it required IE to be the default internet browser to complete installation; I ended up with 2 versions of McAfee both partially installed and neither usable, and neither uninstallable. I ended up copying the contents of a mirror HDD which was a few months old over the current hard disk, and leaving the original version of McAfee, albeit without regular updates. This has since left me vulnerable to attack, and I've just spent the weekend cleaning up my system from in excess of 300 adware/spyware/malware/viruses etc.

So my dilemma now is: do I revert to using IE (I've been using Mozilla Firefox as default browser as I am given to understand it is more secure) and reinstall the McAfee upgrade, or do I unistall the existing McAfee and look for a different antivirus solution. My employer uses Sophos, and my experience of that is that it is good on updates and very stable. I've also noted a number of people grumbling about problems with Norton, particularly when trying to uninstall it.

Any advice welcome

Laters, Z

"42??? We're going to get lynched!

You should use IE for things like updating, e-mail and online banking as most require active X and cookies unfortunaelty!

For all general browsing stick to Firefox!

If McAfee is expired I would ditch it and go for other anti virus and firewalls as McAfee isn't that good and it does tend to be a resource hog and takes over one's computer.

Save your money and buy a decent anti virus and get a free firewall and you should be ok! Investment in a cheap router is also highly recommended especially for dsl/cable!

If you want to buy, then

nod32
Kaspersky
bitdefender

are said to be the best around!

if free try these two, Anti vir is slightly ahead of Avast in detection etc!

Anti-vir

Avast 4 from

For firewalls there are many good ones and free!

if your a beginner then you can try filseclab, if you can't configure it properly then try the trusted Zonealarm or sygate!

If your an advanced user you could try Jetico, best on leak tests!

Filseclab Personal Firewall Professional Edition

use this site to confgure filseclab , see page 7 and post 165 of that thread!

Use this site's shields up to test filseclab and see if it is stealthing, some rules may have to be changed to " out " to pass the tests!

sygate

link below on setting up and configuring jetico

sites for testing firewalls

Member of ASAP Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals

under the name khazars

Thanks again Pechenegs!

OK I've heard a lot of talk about routers in security, but never understood:

a) their precise function - does it hide/disguise the true identity of ports?

b) how to use one for security function.

Will any old router do, we've got a few old ones unused kicking around in junk/spare parts box I inherited...?

On Anti virus, how does the freebie version of AVG hold up, I'd considered getting that as an alternative?

Thanks again

Laters, Z

Yes, a relative cheap router say 30-40 $ or 20-30 pounds will suffice, you need a few cables and a network card!

no, a router will block all incoming, and a software firewall can then be used to control outgoing, what programmes want, need to conect out to the internet!

A router using NAT (Network Address Translation) can mask your IP by issuing an external IP addess for the internet, while keeping your internal IP address safe from outsiders!

AVG isn't quite as good as Anti vir or Avast, but not bad nonetheless!

Member of ASAP Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals

under the name khazars

One thought, if you do work at home for your office, your company's Sophos license should cover you. In that case, you can install Sophos under their license.

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Nice thought, but a) I don't do any homeworking and b) company security policy doesn't allow for PCs to be used for home work and private use (for understandably good reasons)!

Laters, Z

McAfee and Norton both can present problems when trying to completely remove them from the system. I believe both companies have posted steps for this process on their websites.

Not free, but Trend Micro is also good.

I forgot this in the previous post--
I do not know if they still do, but McAfee and Norton both also used to provide weekly updates in download form.

If your McAfee AV is not so old that the core engine is no longer supported, you could download the updates and then install them, getting a pretty current set of protections. If you add a firewall to that, then I'd thing you would have reasonable protection.

Thanks Diogenes10, I'll look into that.

(I take it you don't live in a barrel like your namesake??!)

Laters, Z

Diogenes, given your last remark about the McAfee forum this may not be the appropriate place to continue this thread, but the version of McAfee AntiVirus engine I'm using is 7.03.6000, which according to McAfee's site is apparently no longer supported, and the URL you posted to definition file 4768dat.exe is a virus definition update, which presumably won't work with the version of Scan Engine I'm operating. However, McAfee's site also has a SuperDAT download:
which claims to update the 4.1.60 Scan Engine - would this help me, as I got directed here by McAfee's technical help from 'Legacy Products'/'VirusScan 7'? I'm not sure whether to try and apply it or not!?

Think I'll repost a variation of this thread in the forum you mentioned also, but thanks for your advice.

Laters, Z

Postscript: well I bit the bullet and installed the SuperDAT file and it seems to have updated the engine and virus definitions, so I'm safe(-ish) for the moment, but given Pechenegs' remark about McAfee being a resource-hog and the PC I use for internet access not being the most powerful machine in the world, I may yet swap from McAfee to one of the more slimline apps mentioned.

Many thanks all for all your advice and help - very much appreciated!

Laters, Z

I'm throwing F-Prot (from Frisk) into the hat, especially if you're looking for a small footprint. F-Prot is widely used in Europe but not as much in the U.S. I've been them for the last 2 years and I've been very satisfied with them at work.
Also, (I'm not sure if Sophos still does this--I think they use to) F-Prot allows 5 grace licenses when you buy a single home user license, so you're perfectly in the clear installing it on all your home systems (up to 5). I think it's pretty inexpensive too--especially if you just download it $29--I think.

As others have mentioned above, I would then install a free anti-spyware program, like Windows defender and then keep various spyware removal programs on hand.
I cheap router should be standard--it really provides a great shield from a lot of junk.

This setup has worked for myself and several other pc's I've setup/repaired/helped with:

1.) Get a decent firewalled router (If you get wireless, make sure you have those security settings set right, if not using it now - disable it, and re-enable when using - the wireless part). A physical firewall included in a router will block out the majority of problems, typically.

2.) For antivirus, AVG Antivirus by Grisoft is extremely good. It has all the same auto-update features and such as those you pay for. They have a paid version, and a free version. For home use, the free version is more than good enough.

3.) For spyware protection, these 3 have worked for me every time: (you can get them all at Ad-Aware Personal SE (scans your machine for spyware)
Spybot Search and Destroy (Protects and Scans)
SpywareBlaster (Protects)

4.) Software firewall (It's best, really, nowadays, to have both a firewalled router and a software firewall. I use Zonelabs Zone Alarm Free. Of course, the built-in Windows Firewall does decent enough by itself, assuming you have all the updates. But ZoneAlarm tends to do better. This is found at
5.) Make sure all Windows Updates are as recent as possible

6.) Stay away from P2P software as possible.

7.) If you aren't using a messaging program that you have on your computer, and don't plan to anytime soon, uninstall it. If you don't use MS Outlook Express on your machine, but don't use it, uninstall it as well. Outlook Express and various messenger programs tend to have vunerabilities for viruses, hacks, etc.

8.) Check to make sure any processes you don't need are turned off, especially such as telnet. It wouldn't be a bad idea to browse around on the internet, and find a list you're comfortable with as far as what you need or don't need, and what is optinoal. It's easier to change these than you think.

9.) Make sure to update all your programs. You can have Windows Updates turned to Automatic, AVG does automatic updates, and ZoneAlarm lets you know when an updated version is available. For the 3 anti-spyware programs I listed, you'll need to "check for updates" once every week or two, generally, and run scans with the 2 scanners about as often.

The other free antivirus programs seem to work fine as well, but I've preferred AVG, and stuck with it now for at least 2 years, I think. Before that, I was a Norton fan, mostly - but I had to pay for Norton, AND it seemed to keep making my system slower and slower and slower and...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back