Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

McAfee Services not starting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncscott

MIS
Jan 10, 2003
US
I have two servers, both Compaq D380 G3's running 2000 Server. Both have McAfee VirusScan. Currently I am not able to start the McShield service on either machine. I can start the Network Associates Task Manager, but it drops off after a few minutes. Whatever is going on it's happening to two servers at the same time!

Hi I had the same problem... Something with new DATS i believe.. but the fix for me was to go to NAI website and update the scan engine.. Fixed the prob for me on both servers.. I think newest engine is 4320...

hope this helps

I'm having the same problem on one of my Win2K servers. Did event manager show some 5050 error?

_ALEX

No, the Event Viewer System Log showed an Event ID of 7031. I re-installed McAfee on both servers, then upgraded the scan engines to version 4320 as yukon10 suggested, and that seemed to do the trick.

I Down loaded the 4320.exe engine file. Did the restall of the orginal software and ran the 4320.exe. It still won't start. Any other thoughts?

Has anyone else come across this? I did today. On a Win2K server running NetShield 4.5. The McShield service wouldn't start. It runs fine after a uninstall/reinstall until I let it do an AutoUpdate, right after the update the McShield crashes again.

I have not tried to manually upgrade the engine yet as described here. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this and had any success solving it.

-Tom

Keeping the engine up to date seems to be a crucial issue with McAfee. Several years ago, I ran an update through a login script and all the VS 4.5.1 clients stopped working. Turned out the dats had gotten bigger and required a new engine to run. After that I always ran the SDAT updates.

Now I've got EPO running and all that's pretty well taken care of.

Bowfonz: If you have maintenance on your McAfee, you'd do yourself a great service to upgrade to VSE 7.1. A much smaller footprint in CPU usage and far fewer problems. Replacing that product was one of the finest things McAfee ever did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back