Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

McAFEE Management Console 2.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xmit

Technical User
Apr 20, 2001
US
I am looking for someone who would like to share information on this product and their experiences. We've been running it for close to a month now and have finally gotten most of the bugs worked out. But I'm sure we could probaly be doing business a little better than the current method. So lets exchange ideas..

MMC v2.5
500 plus NT.4. & 2000 systems
McAfee 4.5.1

Xmit

Hi,

I have been using the management console for some years now, but am having trouble with it myself.

Will try to help if you ask specific questions.

How are you doing your updates. We have a mirror workstation download the dat files and transfer them out to the various FTP sites for the clients.

Hi,

I download the updates via Sucrecast, when it works, then load then into Mcon and distribute using a push on method.

I have grouped my workstations according to buildings and apply configuration when I can a building at a tine, using continous apply method.

I am not sure as I am new to this product as well and having a huge amount of trouble trying to distribute these files.

But apparently all this can be done automatically.

It checks for updated Dat files, send to severs repository and the distributes to workstations all automatically. I am investigating as to how this can be done.

Be warned that management console 2.5MR-1 has major installation issues when installing / updating virus scan 4.51. The NAI support team have not resolved this issue yet!
When updating clients you will see some settings will not update due to a management port failure. NAI have a KILL utility which can be deployed but it didn't work for us.
I have been trying to deploy the client successfully for months now and have been through various upgrades and patches along the way. I am fed up, the console is meant to reduce the hassle of remote installs, I have spent more time at the client machine than normal because of the console.

Terrible just terrible, why won't it recognise windows 200 properly.
Time to find something new........

Anyone know of a way to run more than one instance of the MMC? Or better yet kill a session running from a remote machine. Problem is, if a user opens a remote session and fails to close it know one else can get in.

I've been using Management Console (MCon) for 2 years now, and think that for a product produced by NAI, it's pretty handy with NT & our 2000 environment. There are some quirks, but everything NAI has does. When using MCon, you can easily manage over 1000 NT&2000 servers, the main issues you'll run into is...how do I deploy a scan engine (MCon) has not been able to do that...and how about my Novell shops (if anyone still has some) again Mcon is not able to help there either. But it is versitile that most servers I support are 1,000's of miles away, on both coasts and different companies within one conglomerate. MCon is clunky though, has no reporting features perse that are worth mentioning, is a pain with possible problematic repository issues. NAI has or will soo stop supporting the Management Console soon. It is priming it's client base to roll over to ePO (ePolicy Orchestrator). I suggest you look into that as your more stable deployment solution.

I am trying to distribute the latest superdat (sdat4157.exe) via Mamagement Console, but am getting the error "The install file SDAT4157.EXE for SuperDAT 4157.4140 is missing. Please try again.".
Has anyone had any experiance with this procedure?
I am running Management Edition 2.5.
Thanks,
Richard Conaway.

Hi all,

I recommend you all to stop using ME (any version) and try out the brand new e-Policy Orchestrator 2.0. (from McAfee too) It's very good!

For mUtech: Use the scripts that are avalaible in the NAI's web site for upgrading the engine. The specific file is MEUPGD.ZIP.

I've been out to the site, where exactly is the upgrade located?

Thanks

I think mixed responses all round. I find that ME runs reasonable well for the tasks we do. It makes our lives easier here and as long as the workstations are set up correctly deployment of the virus software via the console is 99% successful.

Never mind the upgrade location request. Currently ME is serving us well, once you get it up and running its not bad. Today I'm going to set out and evaluate EPOL, I want to see if it makes any major leaps to improve the current process.

You're all right, ME is very good for small and medium business, but the thing is McAfee has scheduled to end all the support and there is a date for EOF (End-Of-Life). I think, as many manufactures, is a way for making customers to upgrade and pay for it.

ePO works very well in all scenarios. I can give you some new features that make difference:

- ePO can handle antivirus no matter which manner it has been installed, for instance, you can already have done stand-alone installtion of antivirus, and take full control over all configuration, schedule tasks and so on. It recognizes version, language, etc. In contrast, ME can only manage antivirus that has been installed from the console itself.

- You can get all kinds of reports, such as update status of all your network, infection report, etc, etc. ME does not include reporting. This is very usefull if your boss is addicted to statistics.

Hey, don't think that I'm a McAfee's salesman! I could help you all in ME issues too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back