Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MCAFEE DELETING OUTLOOK EXPRESS EMAIL

Status
Not open for further replies.

llambert2

MIS
Apr 10, 2003
US
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do about Mcafee version 4.5.1 deleting email.
One of my users recently updated his Mcafee engine and dat files. He has version 4.5.1 with the scan engine 2.6 and DAT files 4290. He made this update yesterday.

This morning he turned on his PC and checked his email. The email he had on it from before the update yesterday was gone. There were new emails coming in and they all disappeared. Our email server is a Lotus Notes system. No one else in the company of over 1000 have the issue. Or at least no one has brought it up to the IT dept as one.
When he disabled Mcafee and had the email recovered it was fine. Some of them had attachments some did not. Total was 16 emails. His settings are set to "prompt" not delete or clean. So he should have at least been asked if he wanted to do anything, if they had viruses, but chances are slim they ALL did.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Len

"had the email recovered"

From where? The mail client's deleted folder, McAfee's quarantine folder or somewhere else?

What is the OS and mail client? (I assume that scan engine is 4.2.6)

Yes the scan engine is 4.2.6. That was a typo. The email was deleted as it was coming into outlook express. It was not in the quarantine folder or in the deleted folder. It seems that on further investigation, myself, he had the email scan enabled ...under vshield\properties\email scan\detection... "Email Scanning of Email Attachments" box was checked. None of our other PC's have this setting. When the box was unchecked the issue stopped. Interestingly it was affecting both email with and email without attachments. All simply disappeared.
Does anyone know of an issue here? I'm just going to leave it unchecked, since it will still be checking the attchments if opened, unless someone suggests otherwise.
thanks again
Len

The only thing that springs to mind is related to a similar problem with the retail version of McAfee VS 6.0. There was a time when this would occur in OE that was corrected by a patch.

Another very remote possibility is that for some reason the 'current view' (or similar) setting is getting changed on the mail client to 'only display new messages' (or similar).

hmmmm interesting... except that it is deleting the new messages too ...before he gets to read them. He sees them coming in but then they disappear.
My attitude now is that it works for everyone else. So I'm uninstalling Mcafee and reinstalling it.

Install Service Pack 1 for VirusScan 4.5.1.

Had this problem too. Occured with Outlook Express 6 on my WinXP machine, running McAfee 4.5.1

Only way I could fix it was to upgrade to VS7E.

See for a better explanation, and a workaround involving setting 'compact databases in background' option or disable email and internet scanning (tho, as rightly said on the above link, isn't that why we use AV software in the first place?)

My first time...be gentle :)

This happend me too!
I'm running a site with 1000 computers at work. No problems. I took one licens home to learn more about VirusScan 4.5.1 in a calm environment.

It deleted _all_ mail for all users running Outlook Express on my WinXP Prof. <sigh>

At home I'm running Grisofts AVG instead...

/BC

THogan is right on the money. I forgot about unchecking 'compact in the background' - usually this cures it. As mentioned in the article, it does not delete the mail they are still there but can't be read correctly.

dadica is right sp1 resolved this issue years ago.

FatesWebb

if you do what I suggested it is not my fault...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back