Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

McAfee dats crashing novell 4.11 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

llambert2

MIS
Apr 10, 2003
US
I put this question into the Novell forum and now I'm adding it here in hopes that somoen can help...

I know Novell 4.1 is old but that's what we have for a few of our servers still. Over the next year we will be upgrading to Windows 2003.
However in the mean time we are having an issue with Mcafee dats on the Novell servers.
When I update the dats, I unload Mcafee the copy the dats then reload Mcafee. as soon as I hit enter on the "load Netshld" command it brings down the server.
Is there an issue with Mcafee where it is no longer compatable with the Novell 4.1 O/S
And yes I'm putting this on both the Novell and Mcafee forums

Here is what I wrote in the Novell forum in addition to this as a response to a question there...

As soon as I entered the "load netshld" command it crashed.

Looking at the log though I see this:

abend: (server info): Free called with a memory block that has a null resource tag.

Then it gives O/S info and a series of stack numbers. If those numbers will help I'll include them in another message.

Then it says Additional info: THe netwar OS detected a problem with the system while executing a process owned by netshld.nlm It may be the source of the problem or there may have been a memory corruption.

Then is autorestarted.

Thinking there may have been a corrupt file from the Mcafee download, I then put the old files back in and reran netshld ...It worked fine.

As a test I redownloaded the Mcafee files and then put them on another server, only to get the same response.

This leads me to believe that maybe the latest versions of Mcafee don't support that version of Novell (4.11-4640) any longer. But I don't see anything from Mcafee saying that.

Does anyone have a direction for me to go or to look at this point. Fortunately viruses aren't targeting the Novell 4 OS at this time. But we still wish to be up to date.
Thanks in advance for your time and effort,
Len

What version of Netshield? the most current is 4.6.2

the version of Mcafee is 4.1.4 and the scan engine is 4.0.4364

not being a Novell person really. ( I mostly handle out windows servers) Is there a later version of Mcafee that can be used on the Novell 4.11 Servers?

I have 4.6.2 on the NT side but can I use it on Novell 4.11

I don't know if Netshield for Netware 4.6.2 will work on netware 4.11 or not since thats an unsupported OS, but you can always try it.

I am running Netshield for Netware 4.60, scan engine 4.1.60 and dat version 4.0.4364 on a Novell 5.11 server and I get the same problem - any dat after 4364 crashes the novell server and I have to reboot and copy back the old files

Have anyone tried updating the engine? I think the latest scan engine is 4.3.2

We had a problem with one of our NW 5.1 servers when updating the dat files. It was fixed by applying the latest scan engine.

Regards.

I installed scan engine 4240 and I can now install the latest DATs successfully. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back