Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

McAfee Antivirus License expired

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoroaster

Programmer
Jun 10, 2003
GB
My McAfee license expired, so I stopped receiving automatic virus-definition autoupdates. I'm given to understand it msy be possible to still get said updates on a manual download basis from McAfee, can anyone give me any info on this?

Also, should I decide to uninstall McAfee anti-virus to replace with another app, is it possible to retain the firewall, which is working just fine and if I were to replace it would have to start from scratch creating rules for the various apps that may connect to the internet, or would the retention of McAfee's firewall and a different vendor's antivirus likely cause conflicts?

I'm also given to understand that uninstalling McAfee may not be a simple business, and that there's a tool or procedure available from McAfee to do so - can anyone give any feedback on this?

Laters, Z

"42??? We're going to get lynched!

...continues/
The version of McAfee AntiVirus engine I'm using is 7.03.6000, which according to McAfee's site is apparently no longer supported. A new definition file 4768dat.exe is available for download from McAfee's site, which presumably won't work with the version of Scan Engine I'm operating. However, McAfee's site also has a SuperDAT download:
which claims to update the 4.1.60 Scan Engine - would this help me, as I got directed here by McAfee's technical help from 'Legacy Products'/'VirusScan 7'? I'm not sure whether to try and apply it to the product I'm using or not!?

Anyone?

Laters, Z

"42??? We're going to get lynched!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back