Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

McAfee & Printing..

Status
Not open for further replies.

charel

Technical User
Sep 11, 2001
AU
Hello,
We use Win95 & Novell, and are in the process of upgrading the PCs from McAfee 4.0.3 to 4.5.1 - most PCs are OK after the upgrade. BUT, during logon for a few users (or printing), there is an illegal operation (mprexe) with hpjdnp.dll - after uninstalling the printers, reinstalling office, hacking the registry and other tedious things, if mcafee is disabled (or uninstalled) the PC works fine. We don't really want to let users have their PC back with no antivirus software on it - anyone know of any bugs or fixes for this type of problem?? (also only seems to happen when HP 5simx printer is installed..)
Thanks in advance :)

I have seen many printing problems arising for AV software. PC commmunication with print drivers is sometimes very ineffcient, calling the same drive many times. Instead of disabling the AV altogether you can try setting it to scan only system files, or more precisly which file extension to scan. OH yeah, for the logon error I recommend REM'ing out the line in your Autoexec.bat file placed there by mcAfee AV software. Good Luck

Van-

I have battled the printing woes with 4.5.1. If you scan system files, you need to set exclusions in order to get rid of the printing problems. Here is a list of the exclusions that have taken care of my printing problems.

c:\windows\spool\ (including any subfolders)
c:\windows\spoolss.dll
c:\windows\spool32.exe
c:\windows\system\hp*.dll

Once I set these, I no longer got illegal operations during print.

McAfee states that they are working on a solution with Microsoft and that it is a problem with Windows. According to McAfee, many AV vendors are experiencing the printing woes. At least this is a way around the problems.

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back