Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MCAD/MCSD - Worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpiderBear6

Programmer
Sep 17, 2003
AU
Do people think it's worth going through the pain and agnoy of studying for exams? Is the certification likely to get you anywhere? I am currently 1 exam away from getting my MCAD in VB.NET and basically the only reason I am doing it is because my employer pays for the exams. I don't think it is going to get me anywhere in the company.

Any one else have any thoughts?

--------------------------------------
"We are star-stuff. We are the universe made manifest trying to figure itself out."
-- Delenn in Babylon 5 - "A Distant Star"

I think it gives you a competitive edge in a failing economy. That's why I'm going for my cert.

I've run into several employers who REQUIRE an MCAD or, more often, the MCSD.

I have heard employers say "anyone can take a test but this is my company". Then they say, it not the right area if they are asking for expertise not certifications.

Idiot corp exec's want 10 years of experience in all areas of new and old software, work for 10$/week, like in oversea areas, while they make their millions screwing up a company after taking the golden out.

I'm one of those worker-bees one short of a MCDBA and studying for the 70-305 asp.net exam and am very proud of my soon-to-be MCDBA. I feel they are well worth it but it is alot of pain. As of yet, I have not seen alot of benefit in the job market in the Chicago area, I have been trying to land a real job for 2 years now, but I feel that it is important to have the certifications.

For us, with 3 of us having our MCSD certs, we find that it allows us to take the "high" road when it comes to both client pitches and proposals too.

Works for us here in the Toronto area....and I can offer the old adage "no one ever got fired for buying IBM!" as a means to show that when we're hired, we're the "safe" certified firm -- tho more often than not -- not the cheapest!

;-)
Jim

It helps make your resume stick out. Take advantage of the offer and get the cert...better yet take two more and get an MCSD.

I don't think my current employer is going to appeciate it even though he is paying for it.

--------------------------------------
"We are star-stuff. We are the universe made manifest trying to figure itself out."
-- Delenn in Babylon 5 - "A Distant Star"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back