Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MC-32 Gateway Issue / Restart ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelpAtWork

Technical User
Mar 20, 2008
CA
I have been having some issued with voice quality on my IP sets (CS1000 small system). IP sets can hear fine, but sound coming from IP sets is slightly choppy... Words are understandable, but garbled enough to be quite annoying. Nothing has changed on the switch or network that I know of.. no configuration has been changed.

95% of our system is digital sets, with only a few IP sets.

I have checked over everything, network wise, and even rebooted the Signalling Server. Next I would like to reboot the MGW..

Do i simply press the Reset button the MC-32 (NTVQQ1BB)? Will it have an impact on the rest of the system if I do?

Rebooting the MC32 will only impact your IP sets and IP trunks

Well, a reset hasnt helped my problems.. I have reset my Signalling Server, and the MC-32..

Next step I supposed to to reseat the card..

I only have experience dissabling and reseating digital line cards, how do I do it with a MC-32 (without INIing my system)?

Disable and pull out - wait at least 20 sec - re insert and when you see XMI001 - re-enable just as you would a digital line card. PBX will not INI even if you do not disable.

MC32 DSPs either work or they do not - since you are getting voice (just choppy)I would suspect something on the network - either packets dropped or late.

Do you have the same choppy voice on a IP phone to IP phone call - this would be pure network no DSP involved.

If nothing on network changed - start by moving phone to the data switch closest to where the T-Lan for the SigServer and DSPs are.

Well, the plot thickens. IP set to IP set, sound quality is fine..

reseating the card didnt help matters... connecting a set to the switch closest to the T-Lan now... priving difficult because it isnt PoE, but I have a plan.

Any other ideas?

Hi,

RTP is point to point. So resetting the signaling server because of speech problems isn't very useful. The sig. server only does signaling. The RTP from an IP goes directly to the MC32 or an other IP phone.

You could try to setup a VoIP call and when it is garbled do a trace on that phone (LD 80 - TRAC L S C U) and look for the destination TN on the MC32. Disable the TN and try again. Note that the DSP's on the MC32 are connected to blocks of 4 units. So units 0-3 is 1 DSP, 4-7 is a DSP, etc. So if unit 1 is garbled, units 0,2 and 3 should be too.

Just keep disabling TN's until there are none left. If there are no TN's left... I think it's time to replace the complete card.

Marc D.

If Bill Gates had a nickel for every time Windows crashed... Oh wait, he does...

thanks, so disabling channels right on the MC32 you mean? and keep retesting?

its not mission critical, only a few of us are using IP sets, and i have enough redundant digital lines to bridge the gap.. I would like to absolutely identify the problem as the card before I spend the bucks on a new one.

Yes, disable the TN's on the MC32. We had the same issue that most calls sounded garbled. The DSP on units 28-31 was faulty at the time. Units 0-27 were fine. And the channel usage is from bottom to top. So if they had more then 4 simultaneous call the 4+ calls would be fine...

Marc D.

If Bill Gates had a nickel for every time Windows crashed... Oh wait, he does...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back