Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

( MBR ) has been overwritten

Status
Not open for further replies.

vbnetskywalker

Programmer
Jul 26, 2008
SY

I had a (Win XP & Win Vista) installed on my pc , each on a local drive.
(XP is installed before vista)
and I've done an image of the (XP)drive using (Norton Ghost) program before installing (vista).
at the startup (vista) displays a list of installed operating systems to chose.

an error happened to the (XP) ,
I simply restored the (XP) image
( the problem )
Restoring (XP)image overwrote the (MBR) by new informations that there is only (XP) on this machine
so .... (vista) is not seen now.

this problem will happen every time I restore the image of the (XP)

what could I do ??
thanks already
vbnetskywalker

Once you get the booting files on the correct partition (the XP partition) all subsequent images made of XP will be safe to use as long as the Vista partition does not change/move position. Your current image will always repeat the problem with every use.

In dual boots with Vista I like this program as an aid to managing booting.

VistaBootPRO

Some prefer this program

Used EasyBCD

I don't know what to say guys
I'm confused , first I thought it's an (MBR) problem ....... then I thought it's a (BCD) problem ,.... now..... I don't know what to think ... is it both ???!!!???

thanks for everyone shared me my problem
two of you guys have directed me in two directions (system repair & VistaBootPro)
well ,,, I tried them both
we all know .... experiences always help

here is my one for ones need to learn

1 - VistaBootPro :
it worked amazingly when the two system were good (after I reinstalled Vista)....
I used it to :
delete one ......worked well
readd the deleted one ......worked well
rename the existed ones ......worked well
so are the other features

when I restored (XP) image (Vista is not seen again)
sometimes it made some problems ,...like it didn't find the (BCD), or it couldn't get it opened, or its damaged....
so I had to restore a backup of (BCD) that I create using this program when it was good,...........and after that it returned good.
sometimes it didn't work even after restoring the backup .... whatever I did....

2 - System Repair:

I tried this already before I post my problem in this forum .... and I admit that I didn't use it well , ........
any way .... I retried and got lucky to used it well this time but (there is a But).....
there is choices of repair operation one of then is (repair Startup problems)

onetime worked amazingly (I asked it to repair Startup and it just did) .... worked well
onetime it didn't show the choices , .... it didn't find (windows installations) , and gave me a message that it did some repair operations , but ( Vista ) is still not seen

3 - System Repair & VistaBootPro :
when (System Repair) didn't work ,.... it didn't find (windows installations) , and gave me a message that it did some repair operations , but ( Vista ) is still not seen
after that I used the (VistaBootPro) and only find the operating system which (Repair System) added,..... but it's not in a good state , ...
so I deleted it and readded it well , and added the (XP) ..... and worked after that .......

---------------------------------------------------------

I hope this experience helps someone someday , because it took time that I don't want any body to lose.
I'm not saying this is the real image ,.... this is only my experience , if anyone wanted to get to it

thanks guys for help.

It sounds like you have got this sorted now, I hope that is so.

Have you made an Image of your XP after you have got both XP and Vista booting happily together? Or are you instead of doing that, restoring from the old (pre-Vista) XP Image which may be overwriting the Vista Boot folder and Bootmanager which Vista may have placed on the XP Partition?

Once you get both operating systems working together then any Image of either can be restored without causing booting problems to either operating system.

"Once you get both operating systems working together then any Image of either can be restored without causing booting problems to either operating system. "

that's what I thought....
that's what I already have done before I have posted here.....
and it has disappointed me.

I thought it could work if I create an image of (Vista) just after I install it (when the two of OSs are seen)

any way .... the link that (smah) has given me has lightened every missing thing

I can say "my problem is solved" ....... at least temporarily

as I said I could use one of the next options :
1 - Repair the system
2 - use the program (VistaBootPro)
3 - use the two of what mentioned if using only one of them didn't work
4 - but what if none worked (god forbidden) ..... in this case I'm gonna need your help again.

for now ....thanks guys for help.
you solved my problem .... thanks again

vbnetskywalker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back