Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MB Upgrade, but with RAID HDD Boot system

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhlee99

Technical User
May 23, 2003
IN
Okay, this might a little confusing, but I'll try to explain clearly as possible. I currently have 4 HDDs hooked up to a Promise TX2000 PCI IDE Raid controller. I have two arrays with 120GBs & 160GBs, both stripping (dual raid 0). My mobo is a MSI MS-6380 (AMD socket A) which includes a Promise FastTrack 100 Lite Raid, but it's been disabled when I upgraded to the TX2000 Raid Card. The 120GB HDD (array 0) has 3 partitions, all bootable with different OSs. The 160GB HDD is data only.

My questions is, if I upgrade my mobo & cpu to a Intel based mobo/cpu, can i still boot after the upgrade since i'm booting from a RAID? I know, normally, this shouldn't be a problem, just swap out the mobo and cpu and install same bootable HDDs and install the new chipset drivers.

Should work with no problems at all, just plug and pray...

Well, I am a bit remiss. It would depend on what operating system you're using. Win95/98/ME would work fine. XP would work after installing the new drivers and re-activating. 2000 most likely would not boot.

Your Windows 2000 will most likely need to be reinstalled. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if you can re-install 2k and keep your current programs and drivers. Might want to ask in the win2k forum.

-J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back