Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MB not posting, BIOS might be dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgrandy

Technical User
Jan 25, 2003
US
After I made some changes in the BIOS I went to save and exit, but the comp. froze after I pushed enter to save and exit. I waited a while then turned the computer off and now it won't boot up. I had the CPU overclocked, but it seemed stable and wasn't running too hot, 50C at the most, so I don't think that was the problem. I have also tried a different CPU and different RAM, neither have worked even after erasing the CMOS. Did I just kill the BIOS, do I need a new board, or can I get the BIOS chip replaced? I had been using the latest BIOS version, the 1002 from ASUS' website. I had the same problem before with the comp. not posting, but then the problem was the Corsair RAM with the A7N8X board, and I solved that by first using a different stick of RAM.

My Comp:
Athlon XP 2200+
2xCorsair 256MB XMS2700 RAM
Geforce 4 Ti 4400
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
400W Antec power supply

Thats a pretty new mobo, any chance its still covered by warranty? (don't tell em you overclocked it though) Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.

All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Its the battery !!!

OK have had this problem for a few weeks, spend the last few days web tralling for an answer. The MoBo batterys shipped are pretty weak, only put out about 3v (the speced value) but most batteries of this type put out about 3.3v. If you have a multi meter check your battery, get another one and test it.

Cant remember off hand where I found this answer so I'll get back to you on that, but in the listings I found at least 6 people with the same problem and the same solution.

I think maybe flashing the bios drains the battery..... So I will be interested to see how long this new battery lasts before it needs to be replaced ;)

cubye

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back