Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MAYDAY! Suspend to disk file absent + DNSerror + McAffee is evil

Status
Not open for further replies.

digigirl

Technical User
Nov 23, 2002
US
Ever since I updated MSIE to v6.0 and installed McAffee and it's Firewall, and tried to have high speed cable internet, on my Dell Inspiron 3500 Windows 98 SE, I've been having troubles.

First off, my computer weirdly started freezing way too much. I thought it was overworked. And the power cord was going out so I replaced it. The freezing was significantly helped. But the system was still freezing.

I was afraid I had a virus or something and my browser was suseptable to attack. So I updated to IE6 and installed McAffee and its fire wall.

The freezing didn't go away but it was better.

Some time down the road I started getting this message on startup:
This: C:\PROGRA~1\NETWOR~1\MCAFEE~1\SCAN.EXE C:Bad command or file name
and then
an "insufficent memory" error after this startup when McAffee was booting up...scanning the system or memory for viruses or something.

A few weeks later I attempted to run my laptop on my home network and installed a 2wire port and did make changes to my TCP/IP settings to use a cable internet connection.
I never did get on the internet.
So I unistalled the 2 wire and changed all my settings back and went to plain old dial-up.
Ever since, when trying to browse the internet, I had this message:
c:\windows\sytem\shdoclc.dll\dnserror.htm

I installed more RAM. Thinking this may help. I now have 256K.

Months later not using my laptop. =( Because it just freezes too much and I can't get on the internet, I discovered a forum that had a suggestion for the dnserror problem. I tried the recomendations (that I pasted in the bottom of this post) about deleting certain registration files.
I did this and restarted my computer. But it didn't help my dnserror.
I had saved my registration to a backup as suggested, and re imported this backup. Things were working fine.
Until I restarted again...

On start up, I now have this message:
"The amount of system memory has changed or the suspend to disk file is absent"

I can only run is SafeMode.
I've looked at PhoenixPIOS Setup Utility
It says my hard disk is 6495 MB
It says I have 640KB of System Memory. Which seems like an odd low number to me.
Extended Memory is: 255 MB
Suspend Mode was"Save to RAM" which I changed to "Save to Disk" thinking it might help (I read that in another forum) It didn't help though.

In SafeMode I uninstalled McAffee and McAffee firewall hoping that might help. Nada.
When I boot up command config line by line...it still actually has McAffee trying to load.

My hard drive is 6.03gigs and I only have 1.34GB left.
I'd really like to get some of my files off of here and burned to disc. Hopefully my external CD burner still works in SafeMode.

The only things people have told me about these problems is that:
"once an Inspiron 3500 power cord goes, the computer is probably overworked and worn out too.."
And that McAffee Firewall "screws your browser up."
McAffee anything and a 2wire won't work. (which I don't care about at this point. I just want to dial up.)
And a computer technician looked at my dns error and had no idea of what else to do. I had already tried a lot of things. And we couldn't see anything that already hadn't been done.

I sure hope you don't suggest using a boot disk in a floppy drive...since I have misplaced my floppy drive. CD is fine.

Am I screwed?
I hope someone can help! Thanks so much if you can!
~Holly

On Wednesday, June 19, 2002 at 9:58 am, Jaime wrote:
>If you get the c:\windows\sytem\shdoclc.dll\dnserror.htm msg, you probably have some
>corrupted winsock keys. Can be caused by a number of programs. AOL has a specified
>winsock that will only work with AOL that it installs and if you try to use it with
>any other ISP, it breaks. MCaffe can also cause this...Try the following:
>
>
>First go to add/remove programs in the control panel.
>Uninstall newdotnet or new.net if you see it.
>If you happen to see SaveNow in the list, uninstall that also
>Go to the Windows Setup Tab.
>Uncheck Communications.
>Click apply.
>Click ok.
>It will ask you to reboot your computer.
>DO NOT REBOOT. Say no.
>Leave the control panel up.
>Go to start>>run>>regedit.
>Highlight My Computer on the left.
>At the top of the registry editor, click on Registry>>export registry file.
>Save it to your desktop.
>Call it Backup.reg
>Make sure the Export Range at the bottom is set to All.
>Once the registry is backed up, browse to each of the following folders or "keys"
>in the registry and delete them:
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VXD\AFVXD
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VXD\DHCP
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VXD\MSTCP
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VXD\Winsock
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VXD\Winsock2
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\RemoteAccess
>\Authentication\SMM_Files
>Close the registry editor.
>Go back to control panel.
>Double click add/remove programs.
>Go to the Windows setup tab.
>Highlight the word Communications (not the checkmark box) and click details in the
>bottom right.
>Put a check in Dial up Networking.
>Click Ok.
>Click apply.
>Click ok.
>It will ask you to reboot.
>This time: REBOOT.
>When you get back up, try connecting to the net and browsing.
>
>
>

It sounds like you have more problems than you know what to do with !
DNS errors have multiple causes and it may take a while to get to the bottom of it. My advice is simple, remove your personal files from the machine, format the disk and reinstall windows.

The alternative is to spend a lot of time and effort tackling each problem separately and the result will not be totally satisfactory. Best to cut your losses and start again I think.

Just my opinion though....

Will.

Thanks for your suggestion. I've been afraid of this.
That would be wonderful if I could save ALL my junk to CD.... my external CD burner doesn't seem to be detected in SafeMode.
Any suggestions on that? I just got it for this occasion. And managed to save some of my stuff before the "suspend to disk file absent" error.
It's a LaCie running off of fire wire and I use Roxio Easy CD Creator.

Sorry about not getting back to you before now but your best bet is to find an understanding friend with a PC and laplink your stuff off via paralell/serial connection.
You could use direct cable connection within windows but my exprience of it is all bad! Use Laplink.

Will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back