Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

maybe not the right place but here goes.. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldfused

Technical User
Jan 27, 2001
US
i just bought a new system running xp..this is not my problem or maybe it is?. specs:

1.8 g
pent4
512 ram
and the pentuim board

now my problem is the system while it's running i hear it all the time..not very loud but loud enough to drive me crazy..even when i sit back and touch nothing ( i guess ideling) you can here the hard drive working..now is this because windows has something running at all times that keeps the drive working?.is something wrong with my new system?.now i have norton running, don't know if thats it..but it seems to be working all the time even when i'm not doing anything..is this normal for a power pc?..

any ideas?..do i need to shut something off in xp that is running all the time that i don't need?..

thanks in advance...
logo.gif

carlsatterwhite@orlandomediasolutions.com

How many actual processes do you have running when you hear the noise. If you do a CTRL-ALT-DEL then click on task manager, then click on the Processes tab and see what is currently running.

From my experience, the three issues worth of nootice here are:
- if you use System Restore, it likes to use hard drives very often, I don't like it. If you like norton applications, consider using norton ghost.
- if you use Indexing Service (which is a very useful tool) you may here sometimes your disks working very hard. If so, check Indexing Service settings, especially whether system folders (like winnt) are checked to be indexed. I discovered it one time on my computer, and throwing out these folders from indexing improved "silence". I saw it after updating my win2000pro to winxppro. I have no idea if it's really an important issue but it helped me. I guess that when working system is trying to index himself it becomes an endless work, because a queue of files awaitng for indexing (because they are for example opened as it usually happens in system folders) is becoming pretty long.
- if you use Indexing Service and antivirus application, they may inference each other, that is one disturbs another (from the reasons stated above).
- if you use System Restore and Indexin Service - look above
- now it's 00:16 in my country, so I here from 16 minutes that my disk are very busy - this is a time when IS activates...
I've seen other responses to this problem with other issues connected with this problem sometime before on this forum, but I couldn't find them right now.

sems to have done the trick..thanks guys..linney that link was a good one..appreciated..
logo.gif

carlsatterwhite@orlandomediasolutions.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back