Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

may be a stupid question - on networking with win 2000 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

csvideo

Programmer
Oct 19, 2001
BB
I had win98 and win95 on two separate computers and I had them networked via a hub and it use to work fine. NOW I have Windows ME and Windows 2000 server on to separate machines how do I get these machine networked via the hub. I'm totally lost. (Windows 2000 server machine is to be the server machine).

Can anyone give the steps involved in details (piont me to the information)

Well, just assign the machines an ip address, on the same network as your other machines (ie 192.168.x.x). Also, give these machines the same workgroup name. Ususally the default is 'workgroup'.

Or, you can configure your Win2k as a server, and have the other machine logon to it.

you have 2 choices,
1. if you want to keep your existing configuration, you need to add the new machines (XP and w2k server) to your existing workgroup of win98 clients, your w2k server should be configured as a stand alone server.
2. if you want to make a new domain with w2k server, you need to create the domain, make computer account, and add your existing win98 client to the domain.

configuration no 2 is the one that people usually use, i think, since it is more secure, but there are some admin work involved. no 1 is more manageable by 'mere mortals', but does not usually fit to the corporate info system.

I want to configure my Win2k as a server, and have the other machines logon to it. But how exactly do I do it(details)?

You will need to create an Active directory. Use the AD wizard to create it. If you do not have a registered IP address be sure to name you DNS zone mydomain.local

Notes:
You must have TCP/IP installed to create an AD. You must also have a DNS server running, the wizard will create it for you on you AD server.

If you are not familiar with TCP/IP choose the following IP structure: Address 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Then for any other machine just increment the IP by 1.
example w2k pro box
Address 192.168.1.2
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

The default gateway will be your connection to the Internet(usually a router) if you are unsure of this, use the server's IP as the default gateway.

Next Note:
Once you create the AD, add some users to it. Next add any W2k pro or NT boxes to it. For 95 and 98 boxes you should not add them to the domain, just point them to the domain and using Microsoft Networking authenticate to the domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back