Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maxtor Ultra ATA 133 100 gig and a cup of coffee

Status
Not open for further replies.

justasquid

Technical User
Jun 18, 2007
I have a Maxtor ultra ata 133 100 gig hard drive that while using it to move a LOT of data from one machine to an archive area. my son bumped into me causing a lone drop of coffee (cream and sugar) to hit one of the ic chips and cause it to short out. I would like to think someone out there has a board and or method to crutch this drive back enough to pull off what I need back. the drive will not post in the bois and the machine locks up. the chip get super hot too I have only tried to detect it once since the drop hit afraid I'll loose something.

any ideas are welcome (short of a hammer)

It is possible to transplant PCBs between two drives of the EXACT same make and model. Getting them close in serial #s is the best. Easy transplant, and has worked for others in the past. I pulled one off once just to see how easy/hard it was, no internal stuff, just a set of contacts and a few screws.

Tony

That is what I was thinking, would you know of any supply houses that I might contact to try to find a board. I have called all the local shops (Sarasota fl) and they were not able to help.

Look for a similar drive on eBay or search online. You're bound to find one cheap that you can take the board from.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

looking on ebay but keep finding the 80g version I'm not sure what is the determining factor to be sure this works. the board has marked as a "301424100 poker a-1/buf/lite/ata-6"

on the front
model: 4G100J5
d540x-4C 5400 rpm
100 gig ultra ata/133

I tracked down this link:

But I can't believe he's asking $110! [shocked]

Maybe you can call and negotiate for what it's really worth ($50 tops). If that doesn't work out, settle for another capacity of the same product line:

Go to pricewatch.com and search for 4G* under the hard drive section only (or you'll get thousands of hits).

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back