Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maxtor 80GB not present in NT4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammertime

Technical User
Jan 20, 2003
GB
Hi all, bit puzzled by this one so your help would be great!

Running a NT4 SP6 Workstation with SCSI and DLT drives for backup and have decided to install a IDE Maxtor UDMA 80GB HDD just for extra space for when I need it. This is the only IDE device running on the board and it's setup as a slave on the secondary IDE slot. Drive detects in BIOS ok however the drive is not present in My Computer, System or Disk Manager. I have tried formatting the drive in W2k using disk manager and it works fine - currently it's formatted as NTFS.

Any ideas? If you need more information please let me know!

Many thanks,

Hammertime

This is the only IDE device?

Set it to Master on the Primary IDE channel.

Yes it is the only IDE device, everything else is SCSI. Will try and let you know.

Thank you!

Hammertime

Just wondering if your NT installation has driver loaded for IDE devices (atapi.sys?) - as there were obviously none when you installed the operating system.

Hammertime,

I amend my earlier post. The drive is best jumpered as Cable Select. Be certain to use the newer 80 conductor-type IDE cable with the drive and not the old 40 conductor-type you likely find floating around inside your box.

wolluf,

Would it not load the drivers due to the existence of the IDE bus and controllers, even in the absence of an attached device?

bcastner - I'm not sure about that (NT's a bit different about loading drivers anyway) - but from the SCSI Adapters Control Panel icon, should be able to see - and add driver if necessary.

Hi guys,

Changed the jumper to 'Cable Select', IDE cable now in the Primary slot and was already using the new type 80-conductor cable, however the drive is still not present. The atapi.sys is present in the system folder, is that all I need to do to allow NT to load IDE devices?

Hammertime

is this drive formatted? go to disk tools? (it's been a while since I played with NT4) you have to initialize and then format the drive...like an old fdisk routine...

should be (IIRC) start,programs,sytem tools, disk tools

Yes the drive is formatted to NTFS and works on Windows 2000 server. Please read the other posts to catch up on what has been done!

Thanks for your reply,

Hammertime

Hammertime - open the SCSI Adapters Control Panel icon. Is there an entry for IDE hard drives in there? If not, use the add drivers feature. Atapi.sys is the driver file, but it might need to be configured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back