Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maxtor 40gig HDD not recognise 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoani

Technical User
Jun 27, 2003
NZ
Hello, i purchase a maxtor DX540x-40 5400rpm. All work well till the other day when i started to get "DRIVE WRITE ERROR"

The drive has work perfectly before i tried my diagnotics of aliminations. Here's a Brief description...

step 1: Replace the 80wire ide cable
step 2: Ran maxblast3 disk manager,did test,format etc etc
with NO bad reports
step 3: m/b bios flash upgrade
step 4: repeat of step 2
step 5: at this point all would seem to be well then it
Drive Write error again!!!!

Thats 1 issue...the 2nd issue is my system will not detect the drive anymore.So i tried the hdd on another pc that also runs the same model/make/size and still no auto detection. Even a configuring the setting in manual mode(bios) doesn't want to work.

I can feel it spin up, so one would think the physicall part of the drive is ok and the problem may be in the onboard interface!!

Does anyone have any ideas as to go from here. I've tried to search for a firmware upgrade for the hdd if such a thing exists.

i can get a replacement as it is still under warranty, but i would like to get the data of the hdd before i send it back.
I hope i have supplied enough details, but if not, please advise...Thanks
Hoani

has anybody experenced this failure? I would like to be able to

A firmware upgrade is unlikely to help, its usually a failure of the drive heads on this type of drive, spinning can be bad at times often it crashes the media. You are better off assesing the data value and trying the professionals.
Try they are good at recovery data form this sort of problems.

You may have already removed the data when you did step #2.

Mijan, Thanks for speedy responce. This problem been naggy me for a whole week.

>Its usually a failure of the drive heads on this type of >drive, spinning can be bad at times often it crashes the >media.
With this comment, does this mean the disk plates are also damaged? or is it just the drive heads? and or both?

>"and trying the professionals"
Could you please explain what a proffesional would do that i haven't already done ??

If my system can't see it, how can theirs?. I can only think that the proffesionals would dismantle the drive do some kind of mix and match or maybe have a identical hdd with working interface, swap the disk plates over and then to try recover data

Would i be correct in saying this???

Kel

mainegeek

I understand that i may have removed data when i did step 2,
but do you have any ideas as to why my system won't detect so i can format etc etc...

I have exclude a few details as its gonna take me a while to type out each step i took from the first time it the drive gave me a "drive write error message"

In the last failure, i had data on 1 of the 4 partions.
when my system finaly hang itself, i couldn't access the drive again...this is the state of it at moment!!!!
Kel

hoani

There could be numerous reasons, i have suggested the most common reasons. The profesionals would know what really is at fault and would no doubt asses it in a controlled environment to get the best results.
I would say if the data is on a partition further up the disk and is important then only they can recover the data.
They usually have tools and facilities that have been tailored for dying drives. Speak to them.

If you are confident that the jumpers are set correctly, power and data cables are plugged in and working then I would suggest that you return it for replacement. The PC's that I have repaired with this problem have fairly new hard drives in them (6months-1 year). I would suspect a failed component on the logic board of the drive that is preventing communication between the drive and the controller.

To Mijan and Mainegeek,

hey guys thanks very much for your input....
a Lesson well learnt in this scenario...lol

I should of left it alone when its first started...i did manage to saved the first lot of data, but then i continued to use it, to my shook horror.

I'll just have to send it back to the supplier and see what happens.... I'll probably end up with a replacement.

Once again, Thank you very much for your Responces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back