Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maxtor 1 terabye drive enclosure fried 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

carcegen

Technical User
Mar 27, 2007
US
My Maxtor One Terabyte (one touch) drive went down after my assistant somehow managed to insert the FIREWIRE cable unside down. Seems Maxtor's connector metal is easily swayed to go both ways. After this little event the drive stopped working. The drives themselves are fine. I know because I opened up the enclosure and disconnected and hooked each to a pc and windows can find them and said they are healthy. But all my data on the drive cannot be read because I believe Maxtor somehow stripes these drives as one in the enclosure and reading one without the other doesn;t seem to work. My question is - and I can't find the anser on Maxtor (now Seagate). How can I get a new enclosure drive board? And would reversing a firewire cable dry the board. I remember the good days of circuit breakers you;d just push...

thanks!!

Hopefully connecting to Windows did not overwrite any data. Sometimes these NAS boxes use a flavor of Linux to control the RAID functions, I am not sure about the Maxtor.

If the data is vital I would STOP all repair attempts and contact Maxtor (Seagate) support and find the best solution.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back