Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maximum number of files on CDR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

biker900

MIS
Jul 17, 2001
AU
Hi All,

Can someone please tell me if there is a maximum number of files that can be written to a CD-R?

I am trying to write 127,378 files which take up 627Mb and the burning software stops at 127,301 files. These files are mainly small files of icons and gif images which take up about 4-6Kb each.

I have tried it with Easy CD v5 and Nero v5. Both stop before the burn is complete, no error message. When I remove the last of the files, it burns OK. I do not have any problems burning other CDs.

Any thoughts very much appreciated.

You are exceeding the capacity of the CD. Not of the directories. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Ehari:

If they "finalize" BEFORE they burn, it closes off the cd to further writing.. I don't think they want to do this.. Mind you, it would make for a great bunch of coasters.. Much like I use the AOL cd's I always get !!!

Closing a session: Ends the current burning session.

Finalize the disk: Writes a table of contents and write-protects the CD-R.

Murray

Ed, I don't understand. How can I be exceeding the capacity if I am writing 627Mb using a 700Mb CD. I thought the file system on a CD was different to clusters and sectors on a HDD?

I haven't gone into the details but I hit a limit around 610 mb when I did an image. It was a while back and I haven't been forced to look into it since. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Hi
FAIK, CDFS uses 512 byte sectors
127300 times 512 bytes is about 65megabyte
that means that on average, you could have 32 megabyte slack on the CDROM
that, plus the TOC... (I do not know off hand wether it gets bigger as the number of files increases)

anyway, I think that for archiving huge numbers of files, you can use winzip, which, even with minimal compression, will have at least two benefits
It reduces slack
after you burned the archive, when you restore the files, they have their original attribute.

kind regards, Jaak

Thanks Ed and Jaak, I am going to investigate this further. Jaak, your figures above make sense so I may have to archive them after all (I didn't want to do that because I wanted to use them straight off the CD) :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back