Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

max length of USB cable for printing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

basement131

Technical User
Feb 23, 2004
CA
Does anyone know the maximum length that you can run USB cables for printing.

the issue.
we have a network in our office of 4. From time to time we need to print color pages for reports. We have a HP 1500L color laser printer which was given to us (we did not buy it as it would not have been my choice). As this printer does not have a network connection and since i do not have Print server (which is $300 for this printer and so i am not about to buy b/c the new version of this printer can be purchased for $400 and is networked),i have decided to install the printer on my computer and print from my computer. this has worked ok, but now i am being asked by co-workers, can you print this off for me, can you print that off for me. This was ok, but now is getting old. i have now set it up to share the printer and so others can print through my computer onto the printer.

This seems to work ok, however, now i have this big, noisy (it sounds like a tank) printer on my desk that i would like to get rid of by putting it into the copier room. Therfore, i thought, why dont i purchase a few USB extension cables attach them together and run them to the next office.

i think i will require 2-10 foot cables that would run a total of 20 feet.

not sure if it matters or not but the items printed are usually 1-2 page documents and are not full of graphics but moreso are of the letterhead/logo nature.

my question. can this be done or will i have problems with data transmission.

Your help & assistance today will be passed on to others tomorrow.

It should be OK if you get an active cable.
check out this link
pc.gif

Jomama

I should have preceeded that with the standard that 5Meters is the maximum length of a USB cable (16.5 feet)but seeing that you are at the max and we're talking about a printerI would go with the active cable.
USB is a serial bus a and the max length has to do with timing.

pc.gif

Jomama

May I jump in here and ask a similar question but for an ethernet cable instead of a USB?

I just would like to move the printer (Xerox 8550) off of my desk onto a nearby table- total length of cable less than 15 feet- just the one printer/computer setup.

Thanks,

Nick

The ethernet cable for your printer will need to connect to a router or hub. If that is in the same room then you have 100 meters to work with. Get another cable and plug it in.
If not, you can get a hub (active) then plug your existing cable from the wall jack to the input of the hub then another cable from the hub to your worksatation and another from the hub to your printer.
If this doesnt answer your question, how is your printer currently connected?

pc.gif

Jomama

Thanks for your replies. i came accross this website that informed me as to the maximum lenght of cable.

I think 15 ft, 20 may work

Your help & assistance today will be passed on to others tomorrow.

Jomama,

Thanks. The printer is connected through a router. The only purpose for that router is to connect the printer to the computer. Nothing else is connected to it.

Good to know that I have plenty of room to work with.

Thank you.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back