Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Max latency with IP agent? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RTMCKEE

MIS
Jul 6, 2001
US
does anyone know what the max latency is with ip agent? I assume if its real high that could cause connection issues? Right now im getting pings between 400 and 1100 ms.

RTMCKEE

400ms of delay is "passable" as long as it is consistent. Its the Jitter that will kill you. Especially at the high round trip times - if you have inconsistent latency (jitter) it will cause the call to be of such poor service that it is of no use.

Anything above the 450 in my experience will only lead to issues. Remember - more than likely YOU have to support this - so if it is unsupportable - say so and don't allow it. Believe me, I speak from experience on this.

My agents are connected via telecommuter mode. Would the 450ms still apply? I think the IP agent app is getting disconnected. I've been doing some trace ras stuff on the phone, and think that the latency is the issue.

Does anyone know of an avaya document on this. I'm sure I will have to show the MGRs Data guys something in writing.

RTMCKEE

RTMCKEE,

Did you ever find a awnser to this? I am using IPA V4 the same way, telecomuter. And occasionally have this "dropping" issue. I called avaya on it and they could not point me to a timer, etc that might be administerable.

I figured that IPA requires a heartbeat from the G3R server every XXXms. If it doesn't get it because of latency then then it logs the use out. I would think (hope) that there would be someway to change this XXXms rating???

Just my thoughts.

Ray

still looking for the answer to my latency problem. there is a post here that speaks to IP agent V4 polling. No answer. I believe the repsonce was "this is an avaya configurable setting only"...

Is your clan set up to run 10 half? Mine was orignally put in that way, and I'm thinking putting it to 100 full, could not hurt. What we've come up with so far, is its definately relateted to the latency.

We run 2 shifts of agents. early mornng folks dont have a problem until approx 8 or 9 am. Then they have the issue all day (we have about 15 ip agents at any given time). The agents discribe the IP agent app becoming "slugish" then eventually they get bumped. I don't know if the issue is with general Internet lag, or something on my network.

RTMCKEE

Don't go to 100/full unless your card supports it. The older CLAN cards did NOT support it. I think the newer ones do?? or maybe that was the MAPD card??

I think it is just latency related... so we are stuck! Avaya will blame in on the Internet rather than allowing us to change the "timeout" setting. I beleive I read somewhere that a single CLAN card can support 300 or 500 IP Agent users.(not sure if that was with/without VOIP) We use telecomuter mode as well and have about 80 agents total using IP Agent.

If you ever hear anything or find something out on the issue post here.

Thank you,

Ray

Ray,

I was just reading Avaya IP Telephony Implementation Guide.
Avaya Recomends 200 to 250 agents per c-lan.

We also use telecommuter mode. I'm starting to think that because we are using IP agent and not just softphone, that we are still limited to the Delays and max agents just as we would if they were VOIP agents. The IP agent still uses all the same Q.931 messages, and i suspsect would be bound by the same rules.

Hopefully we can find a solution to this... or atleast make the amount of drops acceptable. ;-)

RTMCKEE

update to my latency issue. As it turns out we have two separate connections to the internet. 1st one is a t-1 thru a lec, the second is a cable connection. Something wierd is going on where when we disable the cable connection and flood the T-1 with all the traffic, the VPN and IP agents issues seem to go away. I suspect that something in our system is just getting confused with the two internet connections. our pings went from ~500ms pings to ~75ms pings. Not sure what the deal is, but we watch his happen as we toggle the cable connection on and off.

RTMCKEE

check and see if you are doing asymetrical routing on your routers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back