Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Max hard Drive size on XP 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyg

IS-IT--Management
Nov 9, 2002
GB
Hi

A basic question but one I am having problems finding a yes too.

I have a customer who wants me to build him a system, no problem, however he works with video graphics and has asked for two 250gb hard drives to be installed (MAXTOR 7Y250MO), will this be OK.

Have not decided on mobo yet, was thinking of Gigabyte
GA 7NNXP.

All other spec inline with the above, min 2gb of Ram, may go to the Max 3g but need to get some experienced answers as to the viability and stability of this.

Thanks

=======

2 heads are better than 1, but 1 is better than a committee.

Using the default cluster size (4 KB) for large volumes, you can create an NTFS volume up to 16 terabytes (w/ Service Pack 1 installed).

Thanks

So no problem then.

=======

2 heads are better than 1, but 1 is better than a committee.

take both harddrives and format them NTFS. If you format any drive over 30gigs with FAT32, when xp is installed it wont work. If you max out the ram, its a good idea to get a graphics card that isnt built into the Motherboard. there is no stability issue if you max out the ram and the motherboard can handle that amount. The gigabyte motherboard is perfect if you plan on maxing out the ram as long as the model you choose can handle 3gig.

Make sure the motherboard you get supports
48 Bit LBA adressing in it's BIOS .
Else you hit the roof at 130GB and must use drive overlay sw.
And the OS has to be XP-SP1 .

I've installed 250gig drives with 2gig RAM sucessfully on 2 different models of Intel's 865 boards. The 865PERLK and 865GLCLK. Both very stable hardware.

As above, make sure you use XP-SP1 and the latest BIOS from the motherboard vendor.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back