Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

max filesize during capture

Status
Not open for further replies.

dzr

Programmer
Nov 20, 2001
US
I have a 90 minute long mini dv I'm trying to capture straight off the camera.

The files are going to an external hard drive with 200GB free space on it.

The capture goes just fine until the file reaches 4,115,657 KB at which time the capture stops and gives a "max filesize reached" error.

I'm trying to sort out what the issue is. I have read that it's not Premier's problem but my capture card? I'm on a PC and I don't know how to find out what card I have. I was also wondering if maybe it could be a setting somewhere I could change? or if it's something on the hard drive?

Ideally I would like to be able to capture the whole thing. But if I cannot due to my system, is there a way I can capture to several files?

Eventually I will be putting a show together that will be another 90 minutes recorded onto a mini dv - am I going to have filesize limits on files I open/create?
Any help would be appreciated!

Sound like you have a FAT32 external drive, which imposes a 4Gb max file size.

Scenalyzer Live ( is a much better way, IMO, to capture DV footage than the Premiere system.

You can elect to chop up incoming footage on the fly into chunks of a size of your choice to get round the file size limit. Just place the files in order on the timeline to get a seamless programme.

Alternatively, Scenalyzer Live will read DV timecode and chop up the incoming stream into camera shots, which I find much easier to handle in a project. You can opt to tag the filename with date/time of the shot or tape timecode. I prefer date/time because timecode is visible inside Premiere already.

There is a free try-before-buy download of Scenalyzer which watermarks video until registered, but otherwise is complete, so you can check how it works on your system before paying anything.

so it sounds like I'm unabled to do anything about it??

you are correct - it's FAT 32 but when i looked at Scenalyzer it seemded like it cut according to scnes, but because I'm transfereing music videos, the scenes arent what i'm worried about, it's the start/end of the video i would need to cut to.

In case it's what we need, how much is scenelyzer? we are a tiny non-profit with no money so an option to put together a show with just premier would be the ideal.

oh and of course, thank you for responding!!

Scenalyzer is around US$40 inc VAT in Europe. Might be a bit less outside Europe - can't tell from here.

If you have a NTFS drive you can use instead of the external FAT32 drive, that would allow you to capture much bigger files.

Scenalyzer has options for scene detection which you can turn off, and for splitting inputs into size-based chunks of 2 or 4Gb, either of which would suit your case and which again you can turn off. It is a most excellent capture programme if your hardware is compatible, for which the try-before-buy is a useful tester.

and you can format your FAT32 harddrive into NTFS...
(Right click on the drive in windows explorer => format => Filesystem = NTFS => start

_______
Anders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back