Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Max(Date) as custom attribute

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaC74

MIS
Oct 8, 2003
US
There was a similar issue posted last year but I don't think there was a solution to it. Here is the issue:

We have an attribute qualification filter that uses custom between statement with an embedded value prompt:

ApplySimple("year(date(#0) - 2 MONTHS)*100+month(date(#0) - 2 MONTHS)",? [Enter a Value(Date).])

AND

ApplySimple("year(date(#0))*100+month(date(#0))",? [Enter a Value(Date).])

The value prompt has a default value of '12/31/2004'.

We are looking in to removing the value prompt and replacing it with a custom attribute that gets a max (date) from a table. So now, the logic should be:

ApplySimple("year(date(#0) - 2 MONTHS)*100+month(date(#0) - 2 MONTHS)",CustomAttriubte@ID)

AND

ApplySimple("year(date('12/31/2004'))*100+month(date('12/31/2004'))",CustomAttriubte@ID)

The attribute definition is where we are having issues.

It validates ApplySimple("Max(#0)", DT_ID), but the resulting filter fails once it is ran against the DW table because it places a column functin in the where clause.

Any other solutions out there?

Thanks in advance

how about using a metric instead of attribute. Create metric as max(date) and add to your applysimple.

Nick, thanks for the quick reply. Actually, I found a easier approach which does not use any MSTR objects in the apply simple. Here is the solution:

ApplySimple("(select year(date(max(DT_LST_UPDT)- 2 MONTHS))*100 from udbadm.RPT_EVNT_STS) + (select month(date(max(DT_LST_UPDT)- 2 MONTHS)) from udbadm.RPT_EVNT_STS WHERE (#0) = 1)",1)

AND

ApplySimple("(select year(date(max(DT_LST_UPDT)))* 100 from udbadm.RPT_EVNT_STS)+(select month(date(max(DT_LST_UPDT))) from udbadm.RPT_EVNT_STS WHERE (#0) = 1)",1)

Works like a charm so far...

I had a needless second pass in both parts of the applysimple. It should be:

ApplySimple("(select year(date(max(DT_LST_UPDT)- 2 MONTHS))*100 + month(date(max(DT_LST_UPDT)- 2 MONTHS)) from udbadm.RPT_EVNT_STS WHERE (#0) = 1)",1)

AND

ApplySimple("(select year(date(max(DT_LST_UPDT)))* 100 + month(date(max(DT_LST_UPDT))) from udbadm.RPT_EVNT_STS WHERE (#0) = 1)",1)

Glad you got it to work on your side.

I would still advise against so much hardcoded SQL in the applysimple.... You can get to exactly the same result using "regular" MicroStrategy Objects _and_ this is a lot easier to tune (and sometimes, the MicroStrategy SQL engine will do some good optimization in the way the SQL is generated).

HTH,
FLB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back