Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

max cookies

Status
Not open for further replies.

djack2

Programmer
Dec 12, 2000
US
Is it true that you can set a max of 20 cookies? I can't see how this could be true but I have read this in more than 1 place. What's the real deal on this?

Hi!

That's true that you can set MAX 20 cookies per domain per user. This mean that could set you 20 cookies and could also set you 20 other cookies, etc...

I dont really know why you would need more...

Ciao,
Chris ;-)

I belive that the limiting factor applies to Netscape Browsers, however consider, if any domain could set any number of cookies imagine how much cookie information you could accumulate on your hard drive. All sorts of maniacs could store piles of wasteful information on your disk.

Cookies should only be used to store at max a handful of values for session awareness and the odd piece of personalistion data. If you need any more than this stored get a backend data-base.

Ok thanks. I never read that it was per domain per user. I
only saw per domain. I didn't think that made sense. This clears up alot for me thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back