Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Max amount of files on NTFS partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaTSCaN

MIS
Nov 21, 2001
CA
Is there a maximum amount of files that can be in a directory on a NTFS partition. Any help would be appreciated.

I would have thought that the maximum amount of files depends on the size of your HDD i.e. if it can't fit it on, you can't have it.
I've got absolutely thousands of files on my NT computer and haven't had anything warning or suggesting that I'm reaching any sort of limit.

As for what can be in one directory, I've got a folder which has about another 20 sub-directories in it and they've all got thousands of files in them.

I remember once on a Windows 98 machine, I made loads of folders and then got an error saying I couldn't create any more. I've never had this problem on NT and I've created a larger tree of directories than that which I did on the 98 machine.

So, to cut it short, I would say that there probably isn't one, and even if there is one, it probably won't affect you.

There is a limit, but you are right, it probably won't affect you. On one partition you can have UP TO

files...

Even with my users not deleting old data, they haven't managed to hit the limit yet. I think this figure could be out of date as it applies to NTFS 4 and not NTFS5.

Actually the problem I am having is we have folders full of recordings in MP3 format in one folder. There are about 20000 of the. When we try to move them of of our server to a computer to be burned it crashes our server. Is that due to the amount of files or could it be a virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back