Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Matching Background Colors

Status
Not open for further replies.

harooki2

Technical User
Aug 29, 2006
US
I am a new user of PhotoShop, so be gentle.

I want to change the background color of an image to match exactly the background of a document into which I am inserting it.

How do I determine the color mix of the document first?

It would be helpful to know what type of document you are building. Different page design programs can use different types of image formats. Ideally, you would create a transparent image so that there is no need to match colors between the image and the page background.

OK, I'm still trying to figure out how to create a transparent image -- having trouble identifying the area. But I'm placing it into an InDesign document.

Since I have you here: I've always wanted to know how to take a swatch from a document or web page and identify precisely the color of it. Is that possible?

InDesign can accept PSD and PDF files from Photoshop with transparency. Just remove the background from the photo in Photoshop. Layer masks are ideal for this and can be easily referenced from the Photoshop manual.

Regarding the identification of color...
Try the eyedropper tool in Photoshop.

For transparency you should be familiar with Clipping Paths. Search for "clipping path" in Photoshop help.

To expand on Jimoblaks answer on color. Copy any image, create anew PS doc and paste. Use the eyedropper tool to pick up that color to your fill color on teh tools menu. double click the fill and all values will be displayed in the color window.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

use the eyedropper tool and it will see what color is the background for both images. Fill/paintin/crop/mask/ one with the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back