Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Master Project/Sub-Project Tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJB7777

Technical User
Jan 16, 2013
US
What is the most effective strategy for managing multiple projects within an overall master integrated program plan?

Specifically, what are some best practices and controls to manage the updating process to ensure that any updates/additions/changes to the prior version of the integrated program plan are accurately highlighted and their impact on the critical path (if any) easily identified?

Thanks for any suggestions on this including what NOT to do.

Hi,

I personally only use a linked integrated master for resource leveling over the included project plans. I do NOT save the IM - rather re-create the IM weekly with all PMs participating in the trade-off discussion. PMs whose projects are involved in the IM plan must know the impacts to other projects and changes in schedules have to be communicated when they occur.

I hope this helps.
Julie

Julie - So would you insert a Level 0 task for the program roll-up point and then just copy/paste the individual project plans as Level 1 tasks indented under the Level 0 task (with all of their associated detail)?

No - I'd still use the Insert Project command but clear the "link to project" check box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back