Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Master pages problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickBanner

Technical User
Nov 8, 2003
US
I have two problems relating to my master pages.

1. I used "create guides" to make a grid structure. It shows up fine on the master, but won't show up on any of the pages. All of them are marked A in the pages palette so I know they're based on it, plus other items DO show up. I swear this worked when I first set the guides, but now nothing. I tried redoing the guides, but it didn't help. Also, if I ctrl-shift-click where they should be on a normal page, they show up. Very odd.

2. The master page has 3 text boxes. I cannot ctrl-shift-click them on a normal page. I can see them, but not click them to edit them. "Detach all objects from master" is grayed out in the pages palette.

For both of these I have guides on so it's not that, plus I can see the page border (it disappears if I turn off guides).

I was trying to re-create your dilemas. Here is what I found:
1. I tried just throwing some guides on and got the same results. Are you setting up your masters with a "facing page" set up? If so, do the same grids on BOTH pages in your master, then they will show up. Seems if it's a facing page and the masters aren't the same.. no go. I don't know how scientific this is, but it worked!

2. I did the same, made several types boxes, saved them on the master. I couldn't click them.. I went back to check them, click on each one with the type tool. I think if you just draw them and move on, it doesn't know what type of box it is. Once I seleced them with the type tool in the master, I could select them in the document.

Hope this helps!

Lori

I fixed the box problem - the guides were in the way. However, I still can't get them to show up without ctrl+shift clicking them. I don't have facing pages on so who knows what's wrong. I'll just chalk it up to a bug. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back