Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Master or Slave 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

maudman

MIS
Jul 17, 2001
US
I just got a 3rd HDD and wanted to know if I can put it in as a slave to my CDROM. I thought I heard that you could now days without effecting performance. Anybody?

Maudman

maudman,
Yes you can share the IDE secondary data cable between a CD-ROM and a hard drive. You "may" have reduced performance of a modern fast hard drive (ie the new ATA 100) when they share a data cable with a slower device (CD-ROM or hard drive). The new hard drive web site may offer info about this.
The hard drive will work and perhaps be fast enough for your use.
Be sure to set the hard drive as primary and the CD-ROM as secondary and use a 80 conductor IDE data cable if you want best performance from a ATA 66 or ATA 100 hard drive.
Vince

Vince LaPorte
vincentL@acmc.com
Marshall, MN 56258

If using an 80 wire cable, set both the hard drive and CD_ROM as "CS" or Cable Select, and there will then be no performance problems.

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Thanks guys. I'm waiting for a new video card before I crack the case. You know, I may just put the second drive (20 gig and 5400 RPM with the CDROM and put the 60 gig with the 80 gig. Both are 7200 RPM. I suppose a RAID 0 cinfig HAS to be same size hard drives.

Maudman

I don't think Raid 0 worries about the actual sizes of the drives needing to be the same as it adds the two together.
Raid 1 however does worry - you would need to put the 60Gb as the primary drive and the 80Gb as it's mirror in that situation - 80 into 60 don't go [:)]

Thanks, just something I was pondering. Drive went in smooth and I put 20 gig drive with CDROM.

Maudman

I read somewhere that it is not a good idea performancewise to connect both drives of an array to the same cable. It was advised to connect each disk to a different channel as the master. It makes sense, considering that you will use the same cable to write the same data twice (congestion)

Good luck,
Engin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back