Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

master, model, msdb? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waynest

Programmer
Jun 22, 2000
GB
Today I am moving several of our databases to a new server.
I've restored my own databases from tape onto the new server with no problems. My tape also contains backups of master, model and msdb from the old server. Do I need to restore these onto the new server too?

Thanks
Wayne

Sorry, I forgot to mention it is SQL Server 7 running on NT4

master database:
No need to restore.

model database.
Only need to restore if you have objects in the original and you want them to be included in any new database you create. i.e. The model database is used as a template for any new databases created.

msdb database.
Only need to restore if you have any Scheduled jobs, Alerts, Operators or local DTS packages in the original and you wish to retain them.

Rick.

You may wnat to transfer logins from the old master to the new master. If you only have a few, it may be simpler just to set them up again on the new server. Terry L. Broadbent
FAQ183-874 contains tips for posting questions in these forums.
NOTE: Reference to the FAQ is not directed at any individual.

Dang it, after I pointed the clients at the new server the phone was red hot because nobody could log in. I set them all up again but I'll restore master next time. Cheers guys.

Please note if you restore master from another server , you will loose references to any current databases you have on your new server.

In general a restore of master is only required if it is corrupt or you are transferring over onto a brand new install.

Normal practice when just restoring USER databases onto another SQL Server is to re-do or transfer just the logins.

Rick.

It was a brand new install so a restore would have been ok in this instance. But for future reference how would you transfer the logins from one server to another?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back