Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Master Control II+ and Power/Proc Unit quesitons 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

clay2k

Technical User
Feb 7, 2005
US
Ok, here goes... if you cannot tell i am not a telecomm pro at all, but i am not scared to dabble…. Though I assumed I would find a lot more information online that I have so far… leading me here begging for help : )

I purchased the below items off ebay; wires, phones, cpu, modules etc… a complete functional system… Looking to use it in a small office that currently needs 12 MLX phones setup, but will setup for 15 extensions/Phones on desks so that I can just plug in the phone at a later date and it is already working/functioning extension etc..

I'll start with a parts list:
External Units:
1 Master Control II+ PC (Model: 4X100T-II)
1 Internal Unmarked 16-BIT ISA Card, No ports
1 Internal 16-Bit ISA Card with 2 rear ports labeled 1-2, 3-4 and card is named Power For Voice 4
1 MLX-28d
14 MLX-10d
I also have a few dongles, lots of wires etc…

Carriage Units & Modules:
1 Primary Carrier
1 Expansion Carrier
1 Power Unit on Primary Carrier - 391A1 WITH 129b Freq Gen.
1 Power Unit on Expansion Carrier - 391A3
1 Processor - For Large Systems with FM2 With 2 Ports (ADMIN & SMDR)
(FM2 noted in little round sticker)
(no rev/model info, internal board marked CKE1, with sister board CKF1)
1 400 GS/LS/TTR - 4 GS or LS outside Lines/Touch Tone Receivers
3 408 GS/LS-MLX
1 800 DID - 8 Direct Inward Dialing Trunks
1 800 GS/LS - 8 GS or LS outside Lines
1 012 - 12 Basic Telephone Sets

External Unit Questions:
1. Is the Master Console merely for Programming & Backup or could it be disk based v.mail or AutoAttendant as well?
I assume it is only for programming and backup, yet that 2 port card makes me think that it is our Voice Mail. There is also a small grey IVP4 device. On one side it has 2 incoming (assuming) lines and a line above that marked 1,2 and same for opposite side except labeled 3,4… it seems to me this is the bridge between the card and the phone system… That much is pretty clear, but what it does I do not know.

2. Should I rely on this Master Control II+ Tape backup system or should I try and upgrade the processor with an CKE4 & 4MB Flash Card? assuming that the flash card is for backup/restore and possibly flash upgrade usage.

3. Did I miss anything important relating to the External Units?

Carriage Units & Modules:
1st Issue, Backplane on primary carrier was non-functional, bought a 551-A w/Backplane for 10 bucks.
Problem solved if the new unit works that is.

I had originally thought that the power or processor were bad so I researched some,
it seems I have a very old version of both units.
1. Should I upgrade either power unit?

2. Should I upgrade the Processor to CKE4 (and get a flash card)? Only $20 bucks for Processor… Prob $40-80 with card.

3. I only care to use MLX phones, should I bother incorporating basic phone usage and the 012 module? If not, is it almost just as easily added/programmed in later?

4. If I do not have v.mail currently what solution would you suggest, I was thinking about a 4 Port v.Mail module

5. Anything you believe I overlooked or have not covered regarding the carriage units or modules?

Thanks alot too for any info you may have. And C'mon you know the story it may be old, but i got it cheap and i can get newer rev. parts cheap too so i figured what the hell, plus it gives me something to learn.

Sounds like you bought a lot of "old" stuff. The PC you have is an old Audix Voice Mail system which may or may not have the old DOS-based SPM software on it for programming the processor. There is nothing wrong with the older style Legend processor - assuming it functions - but you need either an MLX-20L telephone or PC-based WinSPM software (plus the requisite connectors)to program it. The older processor has no PCMCIA back-up card slot - so you can only back-up programming to a PC via SPM software. Most of the manuals are still available for free on the Avaya.com website - including the old Audix system you have. Looks like you have a lot of reading to do.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

Indeed, old it is. I have since booted the machine, it loaded up fine and i actually have a 1.5 foot stack of manuals so i think i am good there. Runs UNIX and i was able to get into the programming and i do have all the dongles/wires it calls for... at least every port on the pc has something to plug into it... seems easy enough to get it all connected. I have also changed all passwords etc (i actually got in with no issues, passwords were in the manual, how nice). The system thinks it is 1977 though... i am assuming that without an add-on ISA year2K compliant BIOS i should probably leave it as such, any thoughts? Stupid broken backplane is making it so i cannot test though, that should be delivered within a few days though... until then LINK DOWN.

What's wrong with the backpane? Usually it is just the round "pin" at the bottom of the power supply slot that breaks off. It is probably rattling around inside one of your power supplies. Get it out and glue it back or use a wood dowel of the same length (round it inward at the top - to accomodate the pushpin inside the powewr supply). As for the date - you can use a year that has the same days of the week as 2005. The voice mail only uses day of week and time (not the year) - however to get the right day of the week for the vm, you need to substitute an appropriate year. The system will probably have to be reloaded every time you have a power outtage - since the CMOS battery is probably long dead - unless you replace it.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

that assumption is 100% accurate. Though when i got the unit someone had improperly "placed" the processor in the wrong slot bowing the back plane a lot. Because of this i assumed after the power unit worked in the expansion carrier the back plane of primary had died due to that bowing/trace probably breaking.... now where did i put that piece of plastic lol. So this is why the unit will not power up without being inserted (warning label on side of power unit... as if u don't know that), nothing to do with metal contact... just a push pin allowing electricity to flow, spiff. Well, i already bought a replacement primary carrier so oh well... 20 bucks delivered, no bigge.
I will be replacing the cmos battery, didn't think of that, i just assumed the software had been wiped and was in a default state. I also found year 2005 as a CHOICE to select instead of typing it in so that was nice. Thanks so far for your answers, clarification is good. Any clues on the

Sounds like your Audix software had been upgraded to be "y2k"-compliant - otherwise 2005 would not be there as a choice - so that's good news!

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

disregard last fragment sentence please : )

I am gonna get this sucker hooked up, toy some before i ask more questions, though if you have any answers to previous questions, suggestions, tips or tricks, i am all ears.

thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back