Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Master browser stopping or an election is being forced 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spanbridge

Programmer
May 3, 2002
US
My system generates an error described as follows: "The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer DSL MACHINE that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NeBT_Tcpip_{8AAAC538-B5FE-45. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced."

Since our operation is very small, we have set up a peer to peer network. With the exception of my Windows 2000 system everyone else, including the DSL MACHINE is running on Windows 98.

The DSL machine is used as a shared internet connection. So far, I've not successfully connected my system with the DSL machine. This problem is probably related to the one causing the error.

I suspect this error is causing my system to freeze for short periods of time frequently during the day, and would appreciate your help in curing this situation. Thanks. Mike

File and Printer sharing must be enabled on all PC's for this to work. Can you verify that in your network properties and let us know?

pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

OK, File and printer sharing are enabled on all machines.

Well - I could spend an hour explaining how browser elections work, but obviously can't. From what you describe this most often happens for 2 reasons. None of which represent something "wrong" per se either. Receiving those events is normal after startup especially if the DSL machine is the one you are all concerned with.

The other reason that it would happen is an incorrectly configured computer. I noticed when you said you've yet to connect your machine to the DSL computer..and you are receiving these errors. The most likely place to look is the TCP/IP properties that you are using. An incorrect Subnet Mask on your Win2K machine will cause this error to be logged because it cannot detect the master browser as such, and says "well fine then..IM going to be the master browser" and vice-versa.

The master browser is the computer that maintains the most current list for the networked computers you see in network neighborthood. It can be ANY of the PC's in your perr-to-peer network, and occasionally the master browser will switch roles, and that event will be logged. That is how it is supposed to work.

So thats a very vague explanation of what is going on, and also what might be wrong on your system or some other PC on the network. Check to make sure all of your subnet masks are the same, and the TCP/IP settings are correct. If you do NOT want the error at all on your computer, you can tell it to never be a master browser by doing this ....though I don't recommend it..you may need it to be a master browser someday. To turn the error off, open regedit and go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters\MaintainServerList

change it from Auto to False

Also note the "IsDomainMaster" entry. This is where you would force it to maintain the browse-list. Leave that set to No unless you want it as domain master.

Hope this helps.

pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

If I were you I would disable the computer browser service on your 2000 woprkstation and let the 98 systems take care of being the master browser. Your 2000 system is at the top of the OS ladder and therefore would like to always be the master browser for this workgroup. There is no need ot be bale to browse anyway, you can always use the url path to get to where you need to get(ie - \\computername\sharename). To do this the easy way in 2000 right click on My Computer and go to to manage. Select services and in the righthand pane locate computer browser. Stop the service and set it to disabled and there you go.
Easily reversable if you do have a problem related to having disable the service and no need to modify ansd mess around in the registry.

Thanks, pbxman and kk5629 for your advice. I'll give it a try. This is all occurring when there is greatest need for our systems to be stable, robust and reliable, so I'm grateful for your help, assuming I can make the necessary improvements. Regards, Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back