Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Master Browser Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaTSCaN

MIS
Nov 21, 2001
CA
It seems that every week or so our computers on our network cannot see the PDC. For some reason it seems like the Browser service just stops. And our BDC tries to become the Master Browser but it sas our PDC is already the Master Browser. Any thughts would be helpful.

We have a similar problem. Each time a new PC is set up on the network, (Usually XP Pro) the default settings on that machine have the "browser service" enabled. Of course once the new machine takes over, the "Network List" as I call it is no longer there. I have edited the registry on one of our more powerful servers and set it to "ISMASTERBROWSER =true" and it seems to have no effect.. does anyone know of a way that I can keep this from happening?
Thanx,
Trae [yinyang]
City Of North Ccharleston

Ozyus,

Which server are you requesting to be the Master Browser? Just as an fyi make sure the Master Browser is not Multihomed or you will have problems. See the following article: and look at the workaround suggested. If you have a PDC that is multi-homed then you will have major browsing issues. Would this be your case?

Setting the IsDomainMaster parameter entry to True or Yes makes that computer a Preferred Master Browser which has priority over other computers in master browser elections. Whenever a preferred master browser starts, it forces a browser election. Any computer running Windows NT Workstation or Windows NT Server can be configured as a preferred master browser. If no other condition prevents it, the preferred master browser will always win the election. Set the parameter in the following registry path:

Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Key: SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters
Type: REG_SZ
Name: IsDomainMaster
Value: True

Not if his server is a multi-homed server. Multi-homed servers cannot be Master Browsers. You want the server to be a Master Browser. However, if he has a multi-homed server then this will not win the election and its possible WindowsXP machines will attempt to be a master browser because the os is rated higher. Ozyus has not confirmed if this is true or not so i'm only speculating. If the PDC was a multihomed server his best bet would be to get a server that has a single NIC, promote this to a PDC and then make sure the IsDomainMaster is set to True.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back