Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MASTER and MSDB databases not backing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktigre

MIS
Mar 14, 2002
US
I cannot get the master database to backup or the MSDB database. I'm only trying to get a full backup out of a maintenance plan. I can manually backup the database, but not through the plan. It gives me an error about not being able to perform the task. I am trying to do a repair, and reindex on it through. Should I do that as part of the plan weekly on the system databases? I used to on my old SQL 7.0 server, but the SQL 2000 server doesn't seem willing to let me.

Thanks,
K'Tigre

Hi

Rather do repairs etc weekly on all your database after the regular backups as sql server often needs to change the database into single-user mode to execute some of the tasks you specify in the plan.

As to why you can't back it up would definately relate to the tasks you are trying to perform as you have probably told sql server to repair or reindex before it tries to backup the actual DB and since it can't repair for certain reasons it won't move onto the backup step.

Remove the checks and then see if your plan backs up all the databases. Once you have that working then you will have to find out why the reindexing is failing and manually repair them.

John

I'll give it a try. The problem is that I have no clue how to go about tracking down why a repair process would be failing. I've essentially been told to manage the server, and apart from a book on SQL I have absolutely no experience or training on it...

Isn't life fun?

K'Tigre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back