Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mass Email Services - not for spam

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaintJimmy

Technical User
Aug 15, 2006
US
I work for a government office that wishes to send an email out to all businesses in a given area, i.e. zipcode. I've been given the task of finding/researching services that will have the list of email addresses, handle sending the mass email, and provide tracking data (e.g. total # sent out, % opened, % click through, % opt out).

I was hoping some of you may be able to provide feedback on services you've used or have heard good things about.

I really appreciate any information.

Thanks!

From what you have described, I would call that spam.

Because, have those businesses given you permission to send them emails? And if they did, you would have their email/post address.

No, it's not spam. It would be an informative email whose main purpose would be to remind small business owners to renew their business license. We do have an email list of many business owners within the area of interest, but certainly not all of them.

It's my understanding that these mass email services (at least the legitimately run services) only use email addresses whose owners have not "opted out" of receiving unsolicited emails. Something similar to the do-not-call list. From what I remember hearing, even numbers on the do-not-call list can be contacted by non-profit e.g. charitable organizations. Maybe I don't have that exactly right, I don't know.

This government department's intent is only to inform and potentially spare individuals from paying fines, so I'd say it's definitely not spam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back