Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

masking "residue" on the web

Status
Not open for further replies.

bch33

Technical User
Oct 13, 2001
US
When I am preparing graphics for the web and I do masking or gradients to give that 'in the clouds effect' or just a simple gradient effect, I notice that it looks great in explorer but in netscape it shows all the rings of the gradient or mask. (I don't know the technical term for that, sorry) I've tried all kinds of ways (messed with all the settings in image ready etc.)and all with the same effect. I have seen plenty of web graphics with gradients etc. that don't show the "rings" even in Netscape so I guess there must be a way
I would really appreciate any help in this regard
As always, thanks

What you have there sounds like 'banding' - that's not a technical term but simply a way of describing what happens when a program/screen/output device is not capable of, or not configured to describe a smooth transition from one tint value to the next in a blend or gradient.

Since it's ok in one browser and not in another you can safely assume it's not a Photoshop or Explorer problem I'd concentrate on your Netscape set-up/preferences – it might be something to do with the 'dithering'.

I'll try to emulate your problem and get back to you since I don't appear to have much else to do. Has the Christmas slow-down started already?

Alfie

P.S. another way, of course, to check if this is a Netscape set-up anomaly is to log-on to all the sites you can remember as using grads in Netscape,

Alfie

thanks alfie, will do
appreciate your help
bch

It may be something to do with the allocated file 'helper' in your Netscape preferences. Have a look to see which application is assigned to 'help' the file format you are having problems with, compare it with the Explorer set up and maybe try another application to see if it helps.
You can always revert to the original set-up if this is not the problem.

A bit 'trial and error' I know but sometimes this is the only way to home in on a solution.

Alfie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back