Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mask vs Layer -->Newbie<-- 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nat1967

Technical User
Feb 13, 2001
US
HI everyone,

I have a very basic question and a few sub-questions that I cant seem to find a simple answer for.

What is the difference between Layers and Mask? or are they the same? If different, how do I create a Mask?

I have seen "Quick Mask" and played with that. pretty neat. Is there something else that is more useful? The name "Quick" seems to imply there is.

I am using Photoshop 7.0. And yes.... I have looked through this newsgroup, other newsgroups, 3 Books including the manual, and I am taking classes online at a local college, but I cant seem to find a simple answer. It seems to me that the terms are used interchangably. Only been learning this for 3 weeks, so I am sure it is me.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Have A Great Day!!!, [bigglasses]

Nathan
Senior Test Lead

Masks and layers are two different concepts. Masks, as the name implies, mask off areas of your image. In practice, this can take different forms. You've tried Quick Mask mode: this allows you to block off areas of your image so you can work on specific portions. In this context, it's like a selection tool, but in reverse.

The idea of layers is to be able to add more image information without destroying what's underneath. You can add a brush stroke, for example, onto a new layer, and paint over your image. Because it's on a separate layer, you can erase it at any time without affecting the image underneath. It's more versatile than using the history palette, or undo, and you can do many more things, such as change the way one layer interacts with another, or even use them to do color adjustments to layers underneath. Versatility is the key.

You may have heard of Layer Masks. This is a mask that you add to a layer (obviously enough), and in this case, the areas you mask off become invisible. This means that layers underneath can show through. You can also do this with an eraser, but the advantage of using a mask is that the original layer information stays intact. If you decide later that you don't want to erase quite so much information, you can erase part of the mask and that part of the layer becomes visible again.

Now, I've just realised that after writing all that, spyderix has already written and excellent FAQ on the subject of masking - faq229-1962. Sorry if I've repeated anything he said!

Mr. Blueark

Your answer was really great, it gave me clearer picture of what masking really does.

Though I know it's neat function-- I'm pretty impatient using the masking tool.

BlueArk,

I have to concur with x3mist. your answer helped tie all this together for me.

THANKS for everything.

Have A Great Day!!!, [bigglasses]

Nathan
Senior Test Lead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back