Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mask imported SWF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcasii

Programmer
Aug 27, 2001
AU
Hi, I am importing a swf, which essentially is just an image (PNG) and then I am trying to mask this imported swf however it is not working. The mask does work on an image in the main file but wont mask the imported swf. Is this just not possible or do you have to do it differently?

P.S. I am using Flash MX

Hmm. I not sure what you're doing or how you're doing it but I'll give it a shot. I'm not sure if you can mask an externally loaded file, but you do have a lot of control over it if you import it into empty movie clip:

First, be sure to create an empty movie clip on your stage, it can be just a tiny black box, and give it an instance name, for example, mcHolder for movie clip SWF holder.

Next use the Load Movie command to load the external SWF, for example:
loadMovie("PNGimage.SWF", "mcHolder");

The above command loads the external movie into the mcHolder movie clip. From there, you have a lot of control over the mcHolder. You can move it places on the stage, change its visibility from visible to invisible, adjust its alpha state, start and stop the playing, determine the number of frames in it. (Maybe even mask it. But I've never tried that.) You do these things using the onClipEvent command. Look it up in online help.

I learned how to do this stuff by using the Flash MX Bible. It's kind of daunting in its scope but it covers control of external movies clips really well. Plus the CD in back allows you to copy existing movies and modify them to your needs. Pricey, so you make the call on if its worth it.

Hope this helps.
Kesey Seven

probably a loading issue.....sounds like you are trying to apply the mask before the image has fully loaded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back