Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MAS with backend exchange fails to add vmdom domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayavauser

Technical User
Sep 22, 2005
US
running through DCT tool - fails to add vmdom domain

comes back with error in [50] CreateNewDomain failed

do you want to re-try task - tried twice - same failure

running 3.1

able to complete up to this part - able to load 3rd party software / exchange management tools and such ..

I know you can add and remove domains from VMSC - but its failing at the tool install part - dct tool has domain as
vmdom

failing right after RAS setup

cheers :)

ayavauser

I have seen this part take 20 retries before it takes. or you can stop the dct and run the gvconfig file the old way.

Do you see the Octel container on the exchange side being made?

Ken Means

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

seen it take 20 retries - yikes I only tried 3 times
you have patient Mr. Means

run the gvonfig the old way - never done that before
anyway to find that in the docs ? ( old docs : ) )

cheers

ayavauser

Just search for gvconfig or just gv*.* and run it it knows where the dct left off and it will ask you to fill in the info as it goes. If it still fails then you may have a network problem or the exchange / MM tools install was not done right or it may be the mm account does not have the rights you need.

What version of exchange are you using?

Ken Means

3 things to remember -

Permissions - Permissions - Permissions -

resolved issue by allowing all the permissions needed -

cheers :)

ayavauser

Where did you change the permissions and for which items? I have reinstalled MAS 3 times already and still getting error, can't even start any applications, always getting a "Access denied. Only Modular Messaging Software administrators may perform this action."

This is really starting to annoy me.

Any help would be appreciated

Even though I was told all assignements were done on the data exchange side after reloading 6 times - I decided to to just check the exchange side for meyself - I'm just voice tech - I started on page 57 of the install pdf for MAS with exchange backend and went through all the settings - the following was not done

edit registry -
adding permissions -
adding schema update to registry -

went through all settings twice - then startd the DCT tool

you of course may have other issues but its worth shot to just double check -

good luck

ayavauser

As it has been said before it is all about permissions. Most of the trouble we see is permissions from the customer side.

Ken Means

I have this same problem in 3 different locations and I've worked with the Microsoft guy that set them up. He's been with me through the same 3.1 with Exchange backend documents and we find nothing wrong except like there's some info missing in the documents.
He also pointed out that with Exchange 2007 you have to create the mailboxes on the Exchange side and when you have an active dir server that's running on another box you will have problems creating the Octel container..

Man this products is =)#($=$
Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back