Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MAS 90 -Unable to initialize viewer- on high-res monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

greggmh123

IS-IT--Management
Oct 10, 2013
US
Hello!

I have a client using MAS 90 for Windows 3.70 on server 2003. We recently replaced a few users' 17"-19" LCD monitors with wide-screen monitors that have native resolutions of 1920 x 1080. We got the "Unable to initialize viewer" when opening documents. I Googled and found advice to drop screen resolution to 1600 x 900 or lower, and that works fine, except for now having a wonky display for everything else.

Is this problem with MAS 90, or is it a Crystal Reports issue? I am this client's network IT support person, but NOT their MAS 90 support person, although I briefly worked as the IT network support guy for a MAS 90 reseller back in 1999-2000.

Can a newer version of Crystal Reports fix this issue and run OK with the old 3.70 MAS 90 version? Or is upgrading their MAS 90 the only solution (other than dropping the resolution)?

Thank you for your help!

Gregg Hill

I was hoping I wouldn't hear that answer, even though I expected it!

Thank you!

Gregg Hill

Ten years old, but still does everything they need. If it can be moved to Server 2012, that will give them a few more years.

They know that they need to upgrade, but the budget is not there. I **finally** convinced them that their EIGHT year old server MUST BE replaced this year. I have another post going with questions about that move.

We agree on needing to upgrade, but money is tight.

Gregg Hill

LouieGrandie,

"I seriously doubt if it will run on a modern 64-bit server." Is there anything that actually RUNS on the server? I thought this old version just needed a place for its files to reside and to be accessed by the workstations.

I remember the old days of moving MAS 90 from Novell 3.12(?) to an NT 4 server. I was a simple move of the folder and re-running the wksetup.

How's THAT for living in the past?!!

Gregg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back