Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MapPoint 2002 and Access - lets help each other

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPeters

MIS
Jul 25, 2001
US
Hey all,
I've got a few questions for any of you out there that are decent at using the MP2002 Object Libarary. I broke down and bought MP2k for dummies, and (although it's a great tool) it isn't exactly what I was looking for. The book doesn't really explain how to maximize the use of MP2002 automation in VBA - it barely even skims the surface (or am I not looking hard enough).
What I have been assigned is to build a database in Access 97. This database will take locations in the USA from all over and let the user populate Maps run off of queries (pushpin maps and count by county maps primarily - with territories labeled and colored) with the push of command buttons.
I'm not sure if these maps would be better off embedded into the database using the ActiveX control, or if it would be better to have the DB create a temp file of info that MapPoint can launch and run from as a sort of template. I've found that in using the database designed by Chris G (downloadable from through MapPoint 2001 (not 2002 - I just upgraded to this) the ActiveX window left a lot to be desired - no zooming, no auto stretching... it was a bit cumbersome. I hope that the 2002 controls are more user friendly.
So what I'm asking for is advice, snippets of code, your personal experience, and anything else that you think might give me a hand in completing this project - and a hand to everyone else that reads this thread.
I don't really know the VBA capabilities of MapPoint quite yet, so if any of you could give us a few ideas on this, that would be excellent. I'm REQUIRED to get good at this object library, so if you hang in there with me - and you need help on it - I'll probably be a valuable resource to you in the near future.

Thanks for your time. ------------------
-JPeters
Got a helpful tip for Access Users? Check out and contribute to 'How to Keep Your Databases from becoming Overwhelming!'
thread181-293590
jpeters@guidemail.com
------------------

If you include the map point object lib in your VBA project, you can get access to a pretty good on-line help file. You can get to the same help file from MapPoint, but it won't be as easy to find VB keywords.
Here is a simple example that worked for me:

Sub TestMaps()
Dim om As Map
Set om = New Map
om.CopyMap
End Sub

if you put your cursor on CopyMap and then press F1, you will be brought into the help file on the CopyMap Command. If you look at the helpfile index, Programming help is the last item.

Got an error when I hit f1, but I went and opened the help file manually and found those VB programming words/etc. It seems to be helpful! I'll research this, but I'm still open to any suggestions or other help.

Thanks for your help djsiders.

-Josh ------------------
-JPeters
Got a helpful tip for Access Users? Check out and contribute to 'How to Keep Your Databases from becoming Overwhelming!'
thread181-293590
jpeters@guidemail.com
------------------

Hi,

I've done a lot of programming with the MapPoint 2002 object library, using it to create an application for managing customer advisors and sales territories.

If you want to drop me a line at andyd@hec.org.uk then I'll be happy to answer your questions. I'll be away from 28/07 to 12/09 though.

Andy Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back