Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mapping Win98 Machine to Win2000 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

pio

MIS
Aug 24, 2000
US
We are having problems trying to map a network drive from a Win98 mashine to a Win2000 server. Before we upgraded our server from Win NT 4.0 server we were able to map with no problem, now that we are using Win 2000 server we cann no longer map a network drive.

I was told by someone that they will no longer be able to map unless the Win98 machines are upgraded to either NT or Win2K Pro. They also mentioned something about a trust relationship between 98 and 2000...

If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it...

Thanks in advance,

Ray

are you talking about a domain or workgroup environment? What error messages do you get when you attempt the mapping?

What exactly are the problems you mention? What happens when you try to map?

I have W98 workstations mapping drives on the server and other workstations. I had no problems mapping these drives.

Have you added a new share for the drive?

brontosaurus...thanks for replying rather quickly...

we are prompted with a dialog box:

"you must supply a pawword to make this connection"

When we input our domain password, it doesn't make the connection. Mind you, we are trying to map a connection to our web server at our web hosting company.

Ray

ok, so it's likely not a name resolution thing, just a permissions thing. Was this an in-place upgrade, or did you get a new box and replace the old one? What was the name of the domain before (it is a domain right)? Did the NetBIOS name of the domain change? If so, did you change the Workgroup and Microsoft Client domain names in the properties of your 98 NIC? Do you still have a valid login ID on the new server?

Bronto's right. Go into the new servers local users and groups, remove someone, add them back. Log off the local 98 machine, log back on then try it if you upgraded the box itself. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest."
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790), US statesman, diplomat, inventor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back