Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mapping printers on logon 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2002
US
I have 4 network printers that I need to mapy for every user. We have 4 PC's I need to map on. How do I create a batch file that will map all 4 printers? I want to place the batch file in everyone's startup folder?

Help!

Thanks Thanks!
-JusTin

There is three simple answers.
1) Log on as the admin and install the printers VIA local printer to a IP port. All users will then have them.

2) Create a template profile. Install the printers to it then copy it to the All users profile.

3) Create a template profile. Install the printers you want, copy to the defult user. Delete all the exsisting profiles. When they are recreated all users will have the new printers.

With steps two and three remember to change the permission's from the the template to everyone. I have used all of these, all of them work. I prefer number one myself.

Good luck,
ScorpioX

We have a slightly different scenario. We are a school with 800 kids, 250 PC's and 15 different printers in different locations.

We currently use a "ghost" like program called imagecast to image our machine software images. Each image has to be unique for each computer classroom, purely because of the printer in that room.

We want a way to have 1 software image for all machines (they are all identical) and a script or other AD or GPO based thingy to install a local port on the computers that points to the relevant printer.

We have AD OU's for each classroom so that we can apply room uniqe settings to those computers. Is there a way we can install the printer port and printer drivers to those computers. That then allows us to avoid mucking about with 1000 user profiles.

the real "microsoft" way to do this is by using subnets and setting up locations in AD.

depends on your scenario if this could be of use.

No Pain No Gain

Adding Printers Using GP to Active Directory users :
We used VBscript for installing printers, But we need to have Windows Scripting Host v5.6 installed on our workstations otherwise we will receive an error when the script runs. Windows service pack 3 installs v5.6

1. Create VBscript using the following syntax...

Set Network = CreateObject("Wscript.Network")
Network.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\Server_Name\Printer_Share_Name"
Network.SetDefaultPrinter "\\Server_Name\Printer_Share_Name"

Once we have the necessary printer connections listed save this to a file with a vbs extension.

2. We now need to create a GPO (Group Policy Object).
1-Open a New GP
2-Go to User Configuration - Windows Settings - Scripts - and Double click on Logon.
3-Click Add and browse to the file created in step 1. Once it is added click OK and close all windows.

Mohamed Farid
Know Me No Pain , No Me Know Pain !!!

There is something I didn't explain.

The kids move between rooms. I only want them to see the printer in the room they are in.

if I set up a logon script, they would be able to see all printers available. Our site is 110 acres and some printers are a 10 minute walk away.

I want to be able to setup a script or something in AD so that when the client PC booted, it would check what printer was assigned to it's room or location. If the port is already installed it would skip it. If the port was not installed, it would install a local port pointing to the printer share on the server and install the relevant driver. (all our laser printer are the same models).

This would allow me to build a "printerless" software image and on 1st boot the PC would install the correct driver.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

the subnets would do this as the printers would follow the ip address of the machine - can you consider using vlans in your situation?

do you use switches?

No Pain No Gain

I will look into the subnet scenario.

I want to avoid changing LAN structure. We use Nortel and 3com switches and to reconfigure would take quite a bit of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back