Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mapping NT clients into deep shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

bironhead

MIS
Apr 27, 2001
US
How can I map a net drive letter deep into a share???
I don't want to use Novell or DFS share. I also don't want to use the subst command because it doesn't lable the drives in my computer. Is there a script or resource tool I don't know about??

IE
path
\\server\share\folder1\folder2\folder3

I want to make Q:\ be folder3 from the server. On Windows NT4.0

Share folder three... Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

Sorry I should have been more specific. I don't want to share any other folder underneath the share. I want to map deep into a share without Novell, DFS, and not using the subst command.

Thanks

Sorry, I agree with Joseph - share folder3 -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

NT does not work like Novell. I ran into a similar problem when migrating from Novell to NT.

You are refering to a map root command (novell).

A share at the lower level probably is the best solution.

An alternative would be to do something like this...

\\server\share\folder1\folder2\folder3

1) Give proper permissions to folder SHARE
2) Give READ (folder)...no permissions to files on folder1 and folder two
3) Give proper permissions to folder3 (maybe CHANGE)

The user would then access the \\server\share and have to "walk" down to folder3. While going through the other folders, the user would have NO rights....just the bare minimum to get to folder3. (In Windows 2000 this is called TRAVERSE FOLDER)

The above is the solution I used. (The client did not want to have shares all over the place.)

The absolute proper way to fix this problem is to re-design you directory structure. Make it so there are no deep folders needed. However, this is difficult...especially during a Novell to NT migration...I know, I've been there.

Hope this helps. Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back