Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mapping Novell Drives Through VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhugh0411

Technical User
Jul 12, 2004
Is this possible?

Brian Hughes
Network Administrator
A+,MCP,MCSE2000,MCDBA200,CNA 5.1/6/6.5

I know you cannot pass IPX traffic through an IPSec tunnel, but what can I do. Any suggestions?

Brian Hughes
Network Administrator

You don't need IPX. I was assuming you were talking about doing it with TCP/IP. Once you've established your VPN connection, you should be able to map a drive using the IP address of the server. Depending on the VPN, there are different ways you can do it so you can use server name or whatever, if you find that using the IPAddress of the server is cumbersome.

This is also not a new thing.. This has been possible ever since NetWare 5.0 in 1998 or so when TCP/IP could be used for native NCP functions.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

I hate to sound naive but have tried that just now and before and no luck. Are there certain modules that need to be loaded? I am using a Cisco VPN 3000 and I am running Netware 6.5 sp5. Have the Novell Client 4.91 sp2 and banging my head against a wall. Thanks for all your advice and help!

Brian Hughes
Network Administrator

OK start from the basics.. It shouldn't matter what VPN you are using.. If it gets you into your network, and is setup correctly, you should be able to get to the Novell server just like you get to other servers.

Do you have TCP/IP installed and configured on the Novell server? It's native to NetWare 6.5, so I assume it is unless you turned it off or failed to configure it correctly.

You can type CONFIG at the server console. If you have TCPIP configured, this will show you the IP address.

Can you ping it when connected to VPN? IF you can, that is typically a good test. If you can ping, you should be able to connect to it.

If you can't ping it, you need to check into your IP configuration and find out where it is configured incorrectly, or not at all. Maybe the Gateway isn't set correctly. or IP isn't bound to the NIC.

Also.. See if you can ping the server from inside the network, compared to pinging from the VPN. That may help you narrow it down.

Marvin.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Thanks, should of did that a while ago. Ping test failed but I could map all my novell servers at my remote sites. But it looks like I can only see what the everyone group has rights to. And back to the server I want to be able to get to, I went through the config and all looks well. Can ping everthing else in the subnet but that novell server. My VPN concentrator is parallel to the ASA so the ACLs on the firewall should not be blocking the traffic should it? I really appreciate your help.

Brian Hughes
Network Administrator

Thanks, should of did that a while ago. Ping test failed but I could map all my novell servers at my remote sites. But it looks like I can only see what the everyone group has rights to. And back to the server I want to be able to get to, I went through the config and all looks well. Can ping everthing else in the subnet but that novell server. My VPN concentrator is parallel to the ASA so the ACLs on the firewall should not be blocking the traffic should it? I really appreciate your help. Can ping it internally just not through the VPN. And the gateway is setup just like al my other servers.

Brian Hughes
Network Administrator

So check and make sure your Novell server has a gateway setup on it.. You should be using INETCFG.NLM for your LAN configuration.. Go to INETCFG, PROTOCOLS, TCP/IP, LAN STATIC ROUTING. In there you can define routes. Usually a default route is sufficient. Default Route means all traffic outside your segment will go to that route to get out.

If you are not using INETCFG, start using it.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Yeah, I know where to use inetcfg that is where I checked the info. Default route is set to the right place. Thanks for your help. I need to play with my firewall, something with how I bounce from the main router which points back to the firewall is not letting me communicate. This sounds like an easy connectivity problem and it is making me look like an idiot.

Brian Hughes
Network Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back