Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mapping network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkpanther56

Technical User
Jun 15, 2005
GB
We have quite a large LAN that has been managed and put together by a succession of people and never really mapped, this is starting to become a problem when we need to troubleshoot problems. Can anyone advise me on the best way to map our setup?

Is there a software package that can map this for me or will i have to restore to pen and paper?

We use a mix of layer 2 and layer 3 Planet switches.

Thanks in advance.

TIA 606 addresses this (but in my opinion it's overkill) I doubt there will be software that will do the mapping for you but you can use a database to keep the info once you get it. You will also need to set up a plan to keep the information current. It usually happens that after you spend time to set it up people don't get the changes into the system.

NetworkView will map your network using SNMP. It's a flat file,but has a lot of info.

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back