Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mapping my domain to my ip

Status
Not open for further replies.

violaboy

MIS
Jan 23, 2002
US
Ok this is simple and I know I should know this, I've just never done it. I have a registered domain name and I want to map it to my static ip on road runners system. Can someone point me to the steps to do this or write them out? THanks for helping a new guys out.

Mark

When you say map an IP to your domain, are you talking about? A web site or mail or what??

First you need someone to host your domain. Your ISP is the obvious choice. If you have a web site on your own machine and you want to point to it then you need to apply for a range of IP addresses. The other way is to have your ISP host your web site. In that case they will point the DNS record for your domain at their public web server.

If you are talking about mail, then again you have a couple of options! If you are running your own SMTP server then you need a global IP from your ISP and an MX record in the DNS record for your domain pointing at your mail server.

If you use a POP box (name@isp.com) an you want people to be able to send you e-mail at you@yourdomain.com then your ISP can set up mail forwarding so that all mail to you@yourdomain.com goes to you@isp.com.

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

Sorry, I should have been more specific. There are a range of answers for that question.

I'm running adv. server on my machine at home with IIS in a domain environment. I have a registered domain name. I want to be able to have my domain name point to my machine at home and not to a hosting service. My IP is static and is on one of rr.com's subnets. The dns info. is already pointing to rr.com's servers. Am I on the right track and what else is involved. Thanks in advance.

So, you have a server at home! Great!! You still don't say if you're talking about web or mail?? I will presume both!

If you're running a web server on your adv. server and some sort of smtp service and rr.com are hosting your DNS, then ask them kindly to point mail for your domain at your server and at your server. Then, make sure that the web serice and the mail service is running on your server and that the smtp server is set up to receive mail for yourdomain.com and ONLY yourdomain.com, or else you could be open to mail relay and a slapping from your ISP!!

Good luck!

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back